• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need Help with NXDN Digital Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

dapaq2

I am looking for someone who is experienced with Kenwood NXDN that could help me program a couple of NX series radios for NXDN Digital 6.25. I have gone in and entered the frequencies, selected NXDN, and very narrow, and the audio sounds just absolutely horrible! It makes my voice sound like a robot talking into a tin can and has that 'tape drag' effect like the cassette tapes would do at times. The transfer rate is also delayed, it takes about 2 seconds for the receiving radio to start talking vs instantly in analog narrow band. I am fairly sure that I just dont have the radios programmed correctly and I really could use someones help who does this for a living that can point me in the right direction or provide me with some guidance.

Thanks much,

Doug

Josh

How much exaggerating are you doing here?

There is a digital delay between A/D to D/A conversion. The delay is about 1/4 second or so.

And yes, it will sound "robotic" as you say, since it's a digital mode using AMBE. It should sound a lot like the sound samples here at AMATEUR RADIO DIGITAL VOICE COMMUNICATIONS . Check a few out and see if your results are similar.

All you should have had to do is program the frequency set it for NXDN very narrow and be done for as basic operation as you could expect, that or your radios somehow got horribly out of tune, but if that were the case then digital operation would be hit or miss as the data stream wouldn't be modulated properly.

dapaq2

Well if I am "Exaggerating" then I am not doing it on purpose, I dont have them in front of me to retest again, Maybe I will check them out again today and count exactly how long the delay is.

If digital is suppose to sound robotic, I personally do not know how everyone can say that digital is so much better than analog. Maybe in the added features are but it sure isnt in the voice quality department thats for sure.

I did indeed program them as you mentioned, I thought for sure I had done something wrong but it sounds like I did it correctly and was just expecting it to sound better.

Any pointers on NXDN settings for Unit Id, Unit Id Name, Group Id, and ect. Also how about FleetSync, can you help there? I understand that FleetSync is a better system vs MDC1200?

Thanks much,

Doug

baycomm

There have been many improvements from Kenwood with regard to the quality of NXDN audio. It is very important to have the latest firmware revision (currently 2.52). This revision enables enhanced audio equalization settings that will remove the robotic sound and let you tailor the audio to your specific preferences. Also, the web site listed in the post by Josh does not contain any NXDN audio samples. While various brands of digital radios use the same AMBE +2 CODEC, they do not all employ the same signal processing and therefore may sound drastically different. Once you update your firmware send me the program file & I will optimize the audio with the settings that we have found to work best.

dapaq2

Thanks for the info Baycomm,

Firmware is up to date on all our radios to version 2.54. Feel free to send me a newly created .dat file with freqs for the following TX160.230 RX160.230. I will compare your data from your example file with my file.

Thanks much,

Doug

dapaq2

Baycomm, What areas in the software are you making the adjustments? Is it in Audio Equalizer tx and rx? Can you tell me where and what you adjust?

Doug

baycomm

Try the following under the NXDN tab:
Audio
Function Type: Enhanced
RX Audio Response: Check "Low"Cut", Gain control: Low, Equalizer: High Boost
TX Audio Response: Auto Gain Ctrl: ON, Audio Equalizer: Flat

LTR

Baycomm, have you done any audio testing with the new NX-320 radios? I just got a few of those and it seems like they might need a different setting for RX audio than the NX-300's.

LTR

I got in one of each, the display version and a non-display version about two weeks ago, they have the same enhanced audio settings as the NX-x00 radios, but they do not have the standard filter settings. The radios sound a little more "tinney" to me and seem to need the flat setting instead of high boost. Let me know what you think when you get some in.

ck8308

Which software need fo NX-320?

Baycomm, have you done any audio testing with the new NX-320 radios? I just got a few of those and it seems like they might need a different setting for RX audio than the NX-300's.

Hi, LTR, What programe you use fort NX-320 ? , i use kpg-141d , but it can't read and write program..

thanks for help

LTR

I use KPG-141DN version 1.21. When I first got these radios I had the same problem, then I found out that I was not pushing the two prong cable all the way into the radio. It is a tight fit, that needs snapped in.

Last edited:

ck8308

I purchased mine through my local Kenwood dealer.

i got areadly the software, but just problem how to start programming, got any samle file for help, thanks so much....

that's 1st thime use nxdn digital system, no understand for starting..

Status
Not open for further replies.