• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK 890 450-470 split

Status
Not open for further replies.

timkilbride

Database Admin
Anyone have any luck getting a TK 890 to go down to 442.000 and still able to use up to 468.000? My radio appears to un-lock around 446.000. I want to be able to cover some repeaters around 442 and the GMRS stuff at 467-468. I have seen several posts where people can get the radio to go down, but I assume the top end of the frequency range comes down at well?

Tim

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Rated spec is 20 MHz for that radio but we all know they will lock above and below that but to what extent is kinda radio dependent. You're looking for about a 26 MHz spread and that seems reasonable.

The VCO can be adjusted fairly easy with a volt meter. You just program your highest and lowest frequencies, monitor the VCO steering line voltage, check high and low (both TX and RX) and see if the voltage stays within specs. There are tweekers for both TX and RX to achieve this. And yes, if you lower your VCO's range, you will lose the top freqs, the VCO can swing only so far.

Now for performance. The TX might do alright down at 442 (with a slight reduction of power), but check the RX down there and see if seems deaf. If so, the preselector will need to be aligned to your new freq spread and this will require some test equipment.

Last edited:

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Which pot is for the vco adjustment on these. I am also trying to do the same.

Frank

timkilbride

Database Admin
Which pot is for the vco adjustment on these. I am also trying to do the same.

Frank

Inside that black circle is the CV point to test the voltage. Underneath the cover to the left is the pot to adjust the VCO. I used the very top(furthest towards the rear of the radio) top to make my adjustments. The CV point is used to check the voltage. This is all on the top side of the radio.

Tim K.

Attachments

• tk890CV.jpg
    tk890CV.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 856

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
thanks for the pic. I assume the adjustments are under that piece of copper foil?

Frank

mrweather

Yes. Remove the 6-7 screws holding the plate to the board and lift the plate off to access the adjustment pots.

Status
Not open for further replies.