• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radio Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic834

We have been experiencing radio interference while transmitting from a Kenwood VHF TK-790 mobile radio which is installed in a 2010 Freightliner M2 ambulance. This problem has been on-going for the past three months and we have nearly exhausted all options and resources in determining the source of this interference.

The ambulance is equipped with a Kenwood VHF TK-790 radio with dual heads. The first radio head is installed in the cab of the ambulance with the second installed in the patient care compartment of the ambulance. The RF deck is installed in the cab of the ambulance behind the drivers seat. The cable for the radio head in the patient care compartment ran through the wire chase with many other electronic cables and wires from the cab to the box. A "wind noise" can be heard in the radio transmission when transmitting and seems to become worse when the engine speed is increased.This wind noise at times causes the crews radio traffic to be very difficult to understand. We have swapped RF decks, microphones, radio heads, and cables with unsuccessful results in eliminating the wind noise. There is an in-line filter installed on the power cables for the RF deck and that has also been replaced. The alternator has been tested by our Freightliner service center and is reported to be okay.

One radio service center believes the interference is being caused by engine, while a second believes it is from other electronic devices or equipment in the ambulance. Any ideas or suggestions?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Wow,OK. some questions. Does this happen on all transmissions, or certain conditions (like code-3)?
Does it happen from both front and rear? Are you using headsets or anything other than the Kenwood palm mic.

I am in the midst of a weird problem with a dual head 790 in a fire engine. I have a band-aid on the problem by disconnecting the rear control and awaiting customer approval to do more testing. Anyway, assuming the front control head is head one, try removing the cable from the radio chassis for head two and test drive the rig to see if the problem is still there. Then switch the cable on the chassis so the rear is plugged into the head one slot(and the front head is left disconnected). Have a grunt do some radio checks from the back as you drive around. See if any of this makes a difference. Report back and we could proceed from there.

Last edited:

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I have had this problem a few times.

Have you tried a Kenwood Line filter?

The OP said he had one and has been replaced. To tell you the truth, I've had problems with them in the past and have removed them. Not for "wind noise", but other clams that have popped up.

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
The OP said he had one and has been replaced. To tell you the truth, I've had problems with them in the past and have removed them. Not for "wind noise", but other clams that have popped up.

I am aware what he said! I asked if they have tried a Kenwood in line filter , he did not specify.
I have tried numerous filters on these but the Kenwood filters are the ones that worked. We never had wind noise. We had engine noise and a constant static when plugged into shore line ect.

medic834

Yes, there is a Kenwood line filter installed. This does occur from both the front and rear radio heads. Were going to ground the alternator and engine hood this week in hopes of eliminating the noise.

medic834

We grounded the alternator and engine hood with braided grounding strap and the "wind noise" still exists. What else is left to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.