• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Breaking CSQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedwaysafety

Premium Subscriber
I am new to UHF as I have used VHF for several years and have been using Kenwood hanhelds. We have a touring race group that comes to our track a couple of times a year and they use motorola radius handhelds. They finally gave me a freq list on their last stop and I programmed in their primary UHF freq in my radio and I can hear them but they can not hear me. At the bottom of their Freq list it says "all tones CSQ".
I understand or at least I think I understand CSQ and so I when I programmed my radio I left the tones blank. I havent been able to find anything in my radio programming for my Kenwood tk370 that says anything about CSQ (which I know there shouldn't be if I'm understanding this correctly)

My question is, Is there something I SHOULD be looking for that will help out so that when I transmit it will break the CSQ on their radios since they do not use a tone for TX or RX?

Thanks

nd5y

CSQ (carrier squelch) is the same thing as not programming a tone.
If a receiver has no tone programmed it will receive everything regardless of whether a tone is trasmitted or not.

kma371

QRT
Is this simplex? Maybe you programmed an offset by mistake?

If they arent using tones, and you aren't using tones, that would be the only other issue I can think of.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
In a Kenwood, setting QT/DQT to "none" is making the channel carrier squelch.

I think these guys are being sneaky and use a tone that they don't advertise. I know some tracks require you to monitor the officials for safety reasons (in CSQ) but don't want you hollering back at them, hence the tones are secret.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
This is amateur related how

Are they using amateur radio frequencies?

KB8QDM

Premium Subscriber
If you can, send me a private message with the track and series name. I work for a company that covers safety and medical for a few tracks in the midwest, and might be able to help you out.

Denverpilot

Before someone says it in a mean way, I'll say it nicely...

Do the frequencies you're trying to operate on require Part 90 equipment? Your Amateur rig likely isn't supposed to be there.

Will the world come to an end or anyone really know? Perhaps not.

There, now the folks who make their living selling commercial radios won't get all testy like they like to do sometimes in these kinds of threads. ;)

Denverpilot

Oops. Damn. Missed that. Completely misread it. And here I was trying to fend off the rabid folks. Hahaha.

Ahh well, Broncos had a bad night too. ;)

speedwaysafety

Premium Subscriber

Sorry "robertmac" as the title of your reply says "this is amatuer related how" I am brand new to this forum and didnt see the track forum further down the list so I thought this was the most relevant place to ask my question.... thanks for the lack of help.....

speedwaysafety

Premium Subscriber
If you can, send me a private message with the track and series name. I work for a company that covers safety and medical for a few tracks in the midwest, and might be able to help you out.

Again I am new to this forum site and am having trouble finding where to PM you. I looked in your member page with no luck where to I find that, or maybe I can't yet because I'm brand new to this site.

speedwaysafety

Premium Subscriber
Is this simplex? Maybe you programmed an offset by mistake?

If they arent using tones, and you aren't using tones, that would be the only other issue I can think of.

yes it is simplex and that is what I thought regarding the tones as well. I will check to make sure I didnt set an offset by mistake since the handheld programming is very similar to the VHFs so I might have flown past that step in the radio without realizing it

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Here's a clue nobody picked up on.

"We have a touring race group that comes to our track a couple of times a year..."

You not being recognized as part of the group or otherwise authorized perhaps they ignore outsiders?

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin

Instead of an inflammatory (and against the rules) post, why didn't you simply report the thread and try to help a new user? Is that sort of thing beneath you?

KB8QDM

Premium Subscriber
Again I am new to this forum site and am having trouble finding where to PM you. I looked in your member page with no luck where to I find that, or maybe I can't yet because I'm brand new to this site.

I tried to send you a private message, but you either have that turned off, or the board is set so you can't send PMs until after you have a set number of posts.

Try this

Click me

kb2vxaa said:
Here's a clue nobody picked up on.

"We have a touring race group that comes to our track a couple of times a year..."

You not being recognized as part of the group or otherwise authorized perhaps they ignore outsiders?

In my experience, it's never been an issue.

I'm assuming, from his user name, that he works on the racetrack fire/medical crew. I work with a few different traveling series, and have never run into one that didn't want the track rescue crew to have communications with their officials and flagman. From the original post, it sounds like they gave him a list of their frequencies, but not PLs or DPLs. Or, as mentioned, there's a programming problem with the transmit frequency.

Considering that I've seen winged sprint cars turn 13 second half mile laps, and have clocked them on radar at 120+mph, things can go horribly wrong in a hurry.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I tried to send you a private message, but you either have that turned off, or the board is set so you can't send PMs until after you have a set number of posts.

Try this

Click me

I'm assuming, from his user name, that he works on the racetrack fire/medical crew. I work with a few different traveling series, and have never run into one that didn't want the track rescue crew to have communications with their officials and flagman. From the original post, it sounds like they gave him a list of their frequencies, but not PLs or DPLs. Or, as mentioned, there's a programming problem with the transmit frequency.

Considering that I've seen winged sprint cars turn 13 second half mile laps, and have clocked them on radar at 120+mph, things can go horribly wrong in a hurry.

New users are not granted access to private messaging.

Once the hit a certain number of posts, they are automatically upgraded to regular user, and have full functionality.

Spammers kept using the PM system once they figured out that their posts were being screened...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

speedwaysafety

Premium Subscriber

Try this

Click me

Yeah I am unable to PM yet it says I dont have the privledge so I have no problem emailing you if you would like to do it that way....or I can just list the orginization on here

Yes I am the Safety Coordinator for our short 1/2 mile paved track and they usually give me one of their radios but they had some officials in training to take spots for next season. They have a radio guy set up their radios so they know little about them other than you turn them on and talk lol.

We have had some pretty narley rollovers at our track and even one that launched itself up and over one of our 10 ft fences into the parking lot. but they are a blast to watch race as well

anyways thanks for the help guys I will keep plugging along to see what I can track down

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Yeah I am unable to PM yet it says I dont have the privledge so I have no problem emailing you if you would like to do it that way....or I can just list the orginization on here

Yes I am the Safety Coordinator for our short 1/2 mile paved track and they usually give me one of their radios but they had some officials in training to take spots for next season. They have a radio guy set up their radios so they know little about them other than you turn them on and talk lol.

We have had some pretty narley rollovers at our track and even one that launched itself up and over one of our 10 ft fences into the parking lot. but they are a blast to watch race as well

anyways thanks for the help guys I will keep plugging along to see what I can track down

You shouldn't have a problem sending private messages now...

Your last post showed up automatically without having to be approved.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.