• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2-tone Decode Alerting Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
Haven't seen this addressed in other posts:
I'm programming a 3173 for 2-tone alerting and see it has 3 groups (2-tone 1, 2, & 3) with 2 tone pairs each for a total of 6 tone combinations. I want to have as many pairs as possible so I set up all 6 sets and 3 conventional channels (same freq & zone but different signaling groups) to scan the 6 sets. From other posts, it seems this won't work due to the scan parameters of the radio. Am I limited to 2 pairs of tones for alerting?

Then I tried setting 2 single long tone alerts on 1 channel thinking it would alert on any tone combination that matches either tone whether first or second but it won't alert. Does a tone need to be heard longer for the "long tone" setting to decode it?

This is a UHF uplink to a VHF repeater and there is an additional tone to open the repeater before the tone pairs and voice are broadcast. All tones and voice are broadcast twice so can I set 2 channels (4 pairs) for alerting?

I'm also confused by the help file for monitor in auto reset:
You can configure Monitor to have Auto Reset Timer deactivate the monitoring of 2-tone codes. During the matched state, the transceiver can communicate only with QT/DQT codes after the 2-tone codes match.
Check (Enable):
When Auto Reset Timer expires, the transceiver cancels the matching status of 2-tone codes.
Uncheck (Disable):
The transceiver does not cancel the matching status of 2-tone codes.
I don't believe this affects the monitor status for QT/DQT?
Does enable reset alerting?
Does disable leave the speaker unmuted for any future pages?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
The basic premise of a two-tone page is to give the user either an individual call and a group call or maybe two individuals and a group. Back when pagers had tone reeds, going beyond this got expensive and more complicated to do. Now radios have programmable tone detectors and yes some allow several sets of tone pairs per channel, but the 3173 is still limited to what amounts to two different selective calls per channel as in the good old days.

Scan is not recommended but if it is used priority scan must be disabled. Two-tone decode will not work on any non-priority channel, period. Now in your case, you want to use the same channel but duplicate it three times with different two-tone decode lists and scan. The problem for that is the radio will stop and wait to decode. If the two-tone list is not for what is sent it will not alert. You'll have a 1 in 3 chance the radio will stop on the correct channel for what is being sent. Pretty poor odds. Scanning only works for different frequency channels, and then there are some gotchas.

Standard long code encode is eight seconds. Kenwoods will trip after about four to five seconds, but is still longer than the three seconds of the "B" code in the "AB' timing format. Nice try though.

Now if the UHF uplink repeats the page twice, are they switching QT/DQT tones to send page out multiple repeaters? If this is the case, non-priority scanning of the uplink freq using QT/DQT as a receive qualifier might work. Maybe they don't change QT and repeat the page as a matter of course, in which case won't help you.

Auto reset is used for "AND squelch where the radio is silent until a page is received. When the radio gets a call, it will revert to "OR" squelch to receive the voice and you can also transmit back for a conversation if you wish. Auto reset is the time the radio will revert back to "AND" squelch and go silent again. If auto reset is disabled, you'll have to manually reset the "OR" condition after a call. QT/DQT is not affected by a two-tone page unless you defeat it with the monitor function yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.