• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2 NX700s dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

opsman

Premium Subscriber
Hi, just had two NX 700s die within a week. Both radios have a dark band across the display, radios beep when powered up but no button function or tx/rx. Neither radios can be accessed by the software. Has anyone seen this before? I am afraid both radios just ran out of warranty. Thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have not seen that or experienced it myself. I've got an NX700 in my work truck, and about 50 NX-900's in my fleet. No issues with them.

Any external/internal accessories?
How are they wired?
Something common between the radios, set up, vehicles, etc?

opsman

Premium Subscriber
I have about 20 of these out in locomotive service. The only accessory is a kpg-36 mic. The only thing different about these installations is that the radios are powered by either a samlex or wilmore dc-dc converter. Prior to installing these NXs I ran tk-780s for years without incident. I don't have time to really tear into one of these radios and will probably send them to Kenwood for repair. I just hope this is not something that will become a issue. The Class 1 railroads are all using NX 700s in AAR radios and having fits with them. I always thought the problems they were experiencing were caused by the AAR control head they added to the radio.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Wait, what are "AAR control heads"? Are these Ritron or JEM clean cabs or are you talking about something else?

opsman

Premium Subscriber
yes, the Ritron, Jem, Wabtec, and GE radios, also known as Clean Cab Radios, are what I am referring to. Each of those radios has either a Kenwood or Icom radio inside along with a DC-DC converter and a control head that limits the function of the radio to a standard AAR(Association of American Railroads) operation. Each radio is identical in size and connections are standardized so each locomotive uses the same radio.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
OK. So I'll throw the same thing out, "never seen that before" with any NX700 radios. So since the radio is an engine to a custom configuration, I would think Kenwood might just give you the deer in the headlights thing if you contact them. Your best bet is to call the company that built it and discuss it with them.

I've never had to deal with the new clean cabs (for what we've done it's just been a straight NX in locomotives with existing dc converters) and I don't know how cobbled they are as far as firmware and programming. I know Icom has special RR software and probably applies to the clean cabs a well.

Last edited:

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
The only accessory is a kpg-36 mic. The only thing different about these installations is that the radios are powered by either a samlex or wilmore dc-dc converter. ... The Class 1 railroads are all using NX 700s in AAR radios and having fits with them. I always thought the problems they were experiencing were caused by the AAR control head they added to the radio.

I read this as him using standalone radios compared to the "other" lines using the AAR's.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I wonder if it's a vibration thing? I've got about 50 of the NX-900 (800MHz version) that have been in use for about 2 years, and no complaints. A few of them are in garbage and roll off trucks, but those probably don't take the beating that a locomotive would.

opsman

Premium Subscriber
I am using the radio with the DC-DC converters. The radio serial numbers are within one thousand of each other so I am wondering if Kenwood got a bad Part run. I will be sending these off to someone for repair. I checked and they are out of warranty.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I wonder if it's a vibration thing?
I haven't seen an AAR clean-cab installation of an NX-700 in person, but I'm wondering if the clean-cab housing includes some vibration isolation. That said, if the OP has his NX-700s mounted directly to the control stand with no vibration isolation, then I think vibration may be a potential problem.

I also wonder about the DC-DC converters. Is there something that Ritron, Jem, et al, are doing to provide additional filtering of the DC power to the radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.