• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

tk 7180h-k problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

shellyshaun

Hi everyone. I've got this 7180k -k that I've been trying to program and I haven't had much luck. I ordered a programing cable off ebay, it runs from the usb port to the mic port. I think I have the correct driver installed as it comes up as com 4. I have the kpg 89d software installed. I hook up the cable and turn the radio on. Program seems to recognize com 4. Now when I hit read or write it seems to pause for a second and the radio will start flashing "LTR-Net Firm" and I get an error message on the program that says "please check all connections and com port settings. Any ideas?

BirkenVogt

This is just a guess, but LTR-net is a special version of LTR that supports multiple sites. I am sure a special firmware is required to support this. With that would come extra programming, so there is possibly a special version of KPG89 for LTR-net. The radio is probably complaining that you are not using that software to try to program it.

Maybe get the standard firmware loaded into it?

shellyshaun

I tried a couple different versions of the kpg software, nothing really new though and it reacted the same every time. I've always run icoms that were direct programmable so I'm new to this. Any tips for how to get the standard firmware on it?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
On the KPG89 CD there is a program called Fpro which sends the firmware to your radio. Contact the dealer to get the latest firmware (IIRC, 1.22) and send it using Fpro - I believe that program instructs you on how to do the firmware load.

shellyshaun

Alright, I got the fpro running. Just need a firmware. Problem is I live in northern bc and the closest dealer is a 9 hour drive away. Can theses files be sourced online? Im not going to be using any of the features of the radio so it may not have to be the latest firmware. Again its a TK-7180H

shellyshaun

I Don't even know if changing the firmware is the answer to my problem. Like I say I've never tried to program anything with the computer. I've been running direct entry icoms and yaesus for years, starting to wish I didn't buy this thing.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Alright, I got the fpro running. Just need a firmware. Problem is I live in northern bc and the closest dealer is a 9 hour drive away. Can theses files be sourced online? Im not going to be using any of the features of the radio so it may not have to be the latest firmware. Again its a TK-7180H

If you email a dealer they may send you the firmware free of charge. I had that happen the last time I needed Kenwood firmware, but I don't recall which dealer I eventually had success with.

Try googling "kenwood firmware tk7180" for results.

BirkenVogt

I also learned today that KPG-96 or something like that is used for programming the MPT trunking version of the 7180, so there may be a totally different software package that you need for that radio. I don't know whether the firmware is the answer or not.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
shellyshaun,

If you PM me, I can provide the correct firmware for your radio.

There are two pieces of programming software for the TK-7180:
KPG-89DN v1.61 is the latest (released November 2012) and is for the analog/LTR radios.
KPG-96DN v3.30 is the latest (released November 2012) and is for the analog/MPT radios.

There are also two firmware packages for these radios. Latest versions are:
version 1.22 (checksum 035C) for the analog analog/LTR radios
version 3.35mpt (checksum AA02) for the MPT radios

Here is where I would start if this was mine:
1. check the firmware version of the radio by pressing and holding the "B" key while turning the radio on. Use the up/down arrows to scroll through the options. If the firmware isn't the latest, it's always a good idea to update it.
2. check to see if the programming software you are using is the latest version. There can be incompatibility issues if you are using an older software with a newer firmware radio.
3. I'd be suspect of the e-Bay programming cable. Too many people report issues with them. If you've ruled out everything else, I'd ditch the cable and get a real Kenwood cable. It might cost a few more bucks, but it'll save a lot of headaches.

shellyshaun

Thanks, the firmware did it. My kpg89d software is able to communicate with the radio now. Only problem is that the radio has read and write passwords, I cant get ahold of the guy I bought it off of, I guess its a realy nice door stop.

Hi shellyshaun,

I am having the same problem with my 7180. I saw the fix worked. I am in the same boat and don't have access to the fpro and 1.22 flash. Do you still have this? Could I possibly get your help with what you have done? Anything will help. My kpg89 does not have the fpro on it?

avdrummerboy

I know this thread is old as the hills now, but I contacted Kenwood directly and they informed me that any 180 series radio reading LTR Net Firm needs KPG-62 software and it is a MPT-1327 style radio. For those that said the firmware change worked, I am curious if it actually did as they told me that it is also different internals in the radio with that programming.

Again, sorry for reviving a dead thread but since no answer was given, here it is.

AD0TY

I don't see any indication in the service manual that would suggest there being different hardware. You may need to realign the radio after the firmware upgrade, but I would imagine that wouldn't be an issue either. Just use FPRO to blow it the newest firmware. Looks like version 1.22.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No alignment needed after a firmware update. 1.22 is the current/latest version of TK-x180 firmware.

Kenwood shows a different firmware (v3.35 MPT) for MPT radios, and it states "For MPT radio only". FCC ID's are the same between the MPT and non-MPT radios. I suspect there is a deeper level of firmware, beyond what can be updated outside of Kenwood, that controls the MPT or Non-MPT radio settings. Probably similar with sending the NX-x00 mobiles back to Kenwood to get reflashed for P25.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.