• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2 Tone with Kenwood 272G

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

I have a question maybe somebody can assist with. I have been trying for a couple of days and haven't come up with the proper way yet I don't guess, I know its possible because the old one did it but I have a firefighter on the department that just bought a Kenwood TK 272G to use and since we as a department do all of our own programming I have a minor issue. We use Motorola Long Tones for paging here, I have tried everything and I cannot get it to do right. I got it working yesterday but it has to be at least 8 seconds to activate properly. I have set it up the best I know how, Can someone chime in with a little more knowledge than I have and tell me what I need to do to get it to do a singe non split long tone and long enough to activate? I can get it to do two tones but I need a single. I know it can be done, Can someone say what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it?

evfd1625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; SCH-I535 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Is there a choice to change the tone format from a/b to a/b/long something? This should allow you to open a third tone input box to place the long tone in.

btritch

On the Decode side I have A Tone B Tone and C Tone Decoder Call Format A-B A-C B-A B-C etc. and then I have Group Call A Tone B Tone C Tone and Alert Tone/Transpond and then Auto Reset, On the Encode Side I Have Some Blanks to enter a name and Tone Numbers and a Gap Time.. Nothing about single tone. I'm using the 56D program we have here at the FD.

evfd1625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; SCH-I535 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

They generally call a long or single tone the group call. Might try that?

btritch

I will do that, I'll just have to mess with it I guess and try to figure it out. The 2312's are easy but I didn't think these would be harder since they're older, I guess I was wrong. Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it!

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
On the Decode side I have A Tone B Tone and C Tone Decoder Call Format A-B A-C B-A B-C etc. and then I have Group Call A Tone B Tone C Tone and Alert Tone/Transpond and then Auto Reset, On the Encode Side I Have Some Blanks to enter a name and Tone Numbers and a Gap Time.. Nothing about single tone. I'm using the 56D program we have here at the FD.

Holy jeez here, wait a minute. Are you saying you use only long tone "group" pages?

Normally in a individual two tone page each department, squad, apparatus, has it's own separate two tone sequence. Do you use those at all? In case of SHTF, dispatch can can do a group page to save time. This would be a long transmission of either the A tone or the B tone, whichever is common among all the pagers in the tone plan (B tone would be most common). The industry standard is eight seconds of the same tone for encode, but I find the Kenwoods will alert after about four to five seconds.

Now if all you use is long tones (leftovers from the Plectron days) there is a few ways to do this. You could put your valid long tone in "A" and a dummy tone in "B". Under group call select "A" tone.

Or, reverse that. Put your valid long tone in "B" and a dummy tone in "A". Under group select the "B" tone. Using either A or B as group will respond to a long tone.

The third option is to select AB for an individual call, disregard the group call, and put the same tone in for both A and B. All these should respond to a long single call. You can also use the C tone but we're really getting out in left field here.

Am I on track or are you trying to do something different here?

Oh and by the way, the 272s can also encode two tone and make great test radios to test pagers, Just make sure you are on direct or a side tac channel at low power to test so you don't raise too many hairs.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
Oh and by the way, the 272s can also encode two tone and make great test radios to test pagers, Just make sure you are on direct or a side tac channel at low power to test so you don't raise too many hairs.

I wouldent do this unless you have permission from the department cheif to do so, and make shure an annoucement is made, to make everyone aware, that a test is being conducted. Otherwise, even at low power, you could trip enough pagers/radios to raise some eyebrows at the station...just my 2 cents

rapidcharger

evfd1625

The gold standard for analog fire alerting is the Minitor pager, which doesn't do DTMF or any type of MSK data signaling. 2 tone and long tone only.

rapidcharger

The gold standard for analog fire alerting is the Minitor pager, which doesn't do DTMF or any type of MSK data signaling. 2 tone and long tone only.

I realize that but minitors aren't being used in this case. Kenwoods are.

And while 2 tone may have been the gold standard at some point, now people are finding out as they try to configure it with other brands that it's more complicated, sometimes doesn't work and it takes forever and a day (when seconds count) to use 2 tone.

Last edited:

evfd1625

The problem is that, unless they dispatch themselves, making a central dispatching center change formats and pay for someone to come in and make a whole new template for radio I.D.s and group calls on DTMF or another format and training the dispatchers for one agency is very hard to do.

btritch

Ok let me clarify here, What we have for radio's are the Kenwood TK 272G, What we have for pagers are Motorola Minitor 3, 4, and 5's.. and Yes, they're motorola longtones, In this case 1185.2, I'm needing to set the 272 up to activate the motorola pagers and actually page the dept. out. and btw this is the chief's radio I'm working with.

evfd1625

If you have the options, set your call format to A, Call Type Group, then put your tone in the A box.

If this isn't a choice, look for an option to toggle Individual/Group Calls, and click this to group call, and put the tone in the Group Tone A box.

If this isn't available either, Call format, Long A, then put the tone in the A box.

I don't know how this software is setup, as all of my stuff is Windows based.

Uncheck transpond, however, make sure this option is not turned on at all.

To encode, make sure you have an option button setup to make a call.
Name your call, IE FD PAGE
Set it up for Singletone YES, or something similar to this,
Type your tone in box A.

All else fails, take a screen shot, post it, and we will try to figure it out for you.

Last edited:

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
Both windows are in the Edit menu.
I couldn't get a group call but this is the same because there's no gap.

KENWOOD KPG-56D Help

Enter the required Frequency for 2-Tone Selective Call.
When setting only A Tone or B Tone, it can use as group call.

Range:

288.5 to 3200.0 [Hz]

Default:

321.7 [Hz]

---------------------------------------------------

To send "2-Tone", hold down [PTT] and press this key.

<128-Channel Models>

When this key is pressed, transceiver enters the "2-Tone Encode Select Mode".
In this mode, the display shows the 2-Tone Encode Name.
The operator can select one of the 2-Tone.
Encode using the Channel UP/DOWN switch (Mobile), using the knob (Portable).

Note:

10 kinds of 2-Tone Encode can be programmed in the 2-Tone/ Encode window.

Attachments

• 2-tone encode.jpg
    2-tone encode.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 689
Status
Not open for further replies.