RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum

Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum - For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood or EF Johnson. For discussion of Kenwood Amateur Radio Equipment, please use the Amateur Radio Equipment forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 4:53 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Kenwood NX-800 K2

I need help to program my radio i have 2 softwares KPG-111D and both need password to read or write can someone help me.Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2014, 5:31 PM

The programming password is in the radio, not the software. Who ever originally programmed the radio should be able to provide the correct password to get around it.
Old 04-01-2014, 6:24 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

bought that from gouverment auction there is no way to reset the radio
Old 04-01-2014, 6:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

A Dealer may be able to clear it for you. I would bring it to your local Kenwood Dealer
Old 04-01-2014, 11:21 PM

The password is programmed into the radio with the KPG-111. It can be programmed to require password for reading, or reading and writing to the radio.
Whoever programmed the radio put their password in. I do this on all our NX-410's and NX-900's due to issues we've had in the past with shops adding radios to our trunked system without our knowledge.

Kenwood has a version of the KPG-111 that will bypass this password. Rumor has it that it's out there, somewhere, but I don't know for sure where to get it. A Kenwood shop would likely be able to help you, but be prepared to explain and prove where you got the radio from, just in case.

I don't have that version of software. I don't know anyone who does. The surest way to solve this is to take the radio to a Kenwood shop and explain to them what is going on. They may be able to help you, or they may be able to send it back to Kenwood.

Good luck!
Sponsored links
Old 04-02-2014, 2:08 AM

Never heard of a programming software to bypass the password. I would recommend finding a dealer or maybe a service center since my gut feeling is the firmware is going to need to be reloaded on to erase that password.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:36 PM

You can't reload firmware without PW either. If you cant go back to the govt agency or their dealer/service shop to give you PW or de-program radio then you are SOL. If the radio has been programmed for a trunked nexedge system then you are really SOL, that will require a computer that has unique SW loaded onto the computer with the system's owner thumb drive key.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:48 PM

Your only hope is to contact KW direct or a local dealer who will have to contact KW for you. KW may (I stress MAY) email the dealer new program that will overwrite the radio and erase the program without the need for the PW. The program they email will only overwrite that specific serial/ESN. However, KW will require proof that the radio is not hot and KW will charge $ for the overwright service for each radio by serial & ESN. Good Luck
Old 04-02-2014, 1:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You bought it from a Gov Auction site and they didn't clear out the password? Sounds fishy.
Old 04-02-2014, 2:09 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.0.4; LG-MS870 Build/IMM76L) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/33.0.1750.170 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Va3bnr, Ive had the same problem and can help you. If you PM me I can give you step by step directions.
Old 04-02-2014, 2:57 PM

Default Kenwood NX-800 K2

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydjdan View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.0.4; LG-MS870 Build/IMM76L) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/33.0.1750.170 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Va3bnr, Ive had the same problem and can help you. If you PM me I can give you step by step directions.

Why not just post the instructions here, or create a thread in the Kenwood forum, so others that have the same problem can help themselves, rather than needlessly have others posting the same question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2014, 2:59 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayn1n32008
Quote:

Why not just post the instructions here, or create a thread in the Kenwood forum, so others that have the same problem can help themselves, rather than needlessly have others posting the same question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I would gladly explain in private...
Old 04-02-2014, 10:02 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks to phillydjdan its working.Thanks to the forum for the help.
Old 07-23-2014, 2:27 PM

I have a read write locked nx800 (legit) , can someone explain me how please.
I am not able to PM you,seem like a need more privilege...
Old 07-23-2014, 3:34 PM

If it's read/write locked, then it needs to go to Kenwood service to be unlocked. There is a specific action in the programming software that will overwrite a locked radio, but it requires the software to be put in "tech" mode. Supposedly there are instructions on how to do this on the web.

I've never done it. I don't need to. If you can contact whoever you got the radio from, it would probably be easier.
Old 07-24-2014, 8:10 AM

I know this is possible to get back the password for this model, but I need to know how.
I already get many passwords back for our customers, for most units( MOTOTRBO, TK7102, etc.), with tools like Winhex, Wireshark and others.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much.

Quote:

I would gladly explain in private...
Old 08-04-2014, 11:22 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandesc View Post
I know this is possible to get back the password for this model, but I need to know how.
I already get many passwords back for our customers, for most units( MOTOTRBO, TK7102, etc.), with tools like Winhex, Wireshark and others.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much.
Did you have any luck solving your problem?
Old 08-11-2014, 6:39 PM

Yess!!! , I got lucky,I find the activation key, with the engineer logon elsewhere, available freely , Thank you very much for your help targetting the solution..
Old 05-18-2015, 10:47 PM

i know this is an old post
but what does engineer logon allow you to do
Old 07-08-2015, 6:48 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Did you have any luck solving your problem?
Sent you a PM. Had a similar issue and hoping you can help!