• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX700 Transparent Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab3ai

I've been experimenting with transparent mode on a pair of NX700 and I noticed there is a Transparent 2 (NXDN) mode. I've tried to get this working and have had no luck. I've searched around and haven't found any information on this. Can anyone explain what this mode is and how it differers to plain old Transparent mode and how to implement it? Also, in Transparent mode, what is the over the air speed of data on a analog channel in 12.5?
Thanks!!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Transparent 1 uses 80 byte packets.
Transparent 2 uses 314 byte packets
Transparent 1 would put a lot of delays/pauses and headers in, thus running slower data speeds. Transparent 2 would run fewer/larger packets, increasing throughput.
As for why it doesn't work on yours, you need to be sure both radios are set up the same. Same comm port, same transparent settings. If they are not matched, they won't talk.

From the Kenwood NX-x00 Function Reference manual:
The communication port of the transceiver assigned “Transparent” sends the received data automatically using the FleetSync protocol or NXDN protocol if the received data size exceeds 80 bytes upon the receipt of data from an external device.

The communication port of the transceiver assigned “Transparent 2 (NXDN)” sends the received data automatically using the NXDN protocol if the received data size exceeds 314 bytes upon the receipt of data from an external device. By using Transparent 2 (NXDN), data can be sent faster and more efficiently than by using Transparent.

Analog data transmission uses the FleetSync mode. There are two settings:
1200bps and 2400bps.
1200 is preferred as it's more reliable and works over a wider area. 2400 will work, but reliable coverage is reduced. More errors at that speed.
12.5KHz "narrow" NXDN mode will provide about 3700 bps
6.25KHz "very narrow" NXDN mode will provide about 1850 bps.

ab3ai

mmckenna,

Thanks for the reply and the info! That is good info to know. I'll have to make some changes to see how it works. I was able to get the link working. What I had to do was assign unit and base IDs and it went to work. We were able to pass files on simplex.

geicop

Hi,

I would like to get more info about how to set up the transparent mode, I'm working in a project using 2 NX-700K, but I'm having trouble transferring data.

Do you have any resource where to obtain the configuration? or which configuration did you used?

Thanks!!

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Geicop, email me, I have a set up sheet. What are you trying to do? I can use d-rats and do the same thing over NXDN as I can d-star.

kmsj13

Geicop, email me, I have a set up sheet. What are you trying to do? I can use d-rats and do the same thing over NXDN as I can d-star.

Hi Kd4efm,
i was having a same problem with it, i have two nx700h and cannot transmit data over rs232 cable in tera Tem and in putty. any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.