• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

760 squelch issue driving me mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
I have a state issued TK-760 in my POV. The entire time i've had it, i've had issues with channels set to carrier squelch (mostly tac channels, but some paging channels as well) The minimum squelch threshold seemed too low, and the radio would lock up on the channels on just static.

Basically, i've just locked those channels out using the d/a button as needed, because the bank i need to scan in this area only had one, and i rarely have to listen to that specific paging channel.

However, two new issues have popped up.
First, i'm going to be assigned to another part of the state over the summer, and THAT bank is FULL of channels programmed without a tone, including one of the county paging channels that i need to keep in the scan bank.
But, since the radio constantly locks up on that channel because of the low squelch threshold, it makes scan pretty much worthless.

Second, the radio was recently re-programmed to correct a programming error and to add a few more mutual aid channels, and I mentioned this, and they changed the overall squelch level from 5 to 6, and now i hear "clipping" on channels that -SHOULD- be strong in my area. By clipping, i mean when the radio locks on the channel, the signal constantly goes in and out... but still have the problem with squelch opening up when it shouldnt on CSQ channels.

So.If I push the squelch up higher to 7, i'll probably kill the recieve completely except on the strongest signals, and miss important traffic.

If I push it back down to 5, scan will be worthless, but i'll hear the traffic on the strong channels.

Any other suggestions?
(And i thought of reprogramming one set of arrows as squelch, BUT, i need all 3. Currently programmed as volume, group, channel)

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Oh, and the list of things that were changed during the last re-program are as follows:

1. Edit Gp 1 Ch 4 ch name
2. Edit Gp 4 Ch 8 ch name
3. Edit Gp 4 Ch 9 ch name
4. Edit Gp 4 Ch 14 ch name
5. Add State Air to Ground freq to Gp 1
6. Confirm Gp 1 Ch 3 freq is correct for agency and set for home channel
7. Change scan type to pscan
8. Change pri ch to Gp 1 Ch 2 if not currently set
9. Confirm A button prog for home ch
10. Move all FOREST channels to group 8

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Have you noticed that the signals are local to any area? Do you hear the static on those freqs on any other radios?

Sent via Tapatalk

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Have you noticed that the signals are local to any area? Do you hear the static on those freqs on any other radios?

Sent via Tapatalk

It pretty much seems like typical intermod or interference. I can choose any bank with CSQ channels and hit the scan button, and have it lock up on static pretty much anywhere. Occurs more frequently in the larger cities, but it'll happen anywhere.

Turning the squelch up to 6 or 7 greatly reduces the interference, obviously, but kills the strong signals.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Are you sure that the "clipping" isn't the priority channel sampling?

I want to say that the pscan settings are set to check the priority channel for half a second, every 2.5 seconds, and the clipping is more like half a second on, half a second off, HOWEVER, the clipping also occurs when the radio is set to a specific channel and not on scan.

I may disable the priority scan for a day and see what happens on strong signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.