• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-790 / 890 tone decode

Status
Not open for further replies.

HummerMike

I have a dual radio set up in my Hummer. A tk-790 and a tk-890 with a common head. My issue is that the local sheriff and police use a PL tone of 107.2. My Motorola xpr series radios decode this pl tone fine. I believe the deviation of the repeaters pl tone may be just below the level needed for the Kenwood to decode. I am going to replace the 890 (UHF) radio on my end and see if there is a difference. Other agencies that use 107.2 works fine. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Mike

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Are you narrow banded on these channels? A 790 or 890 should open up on very little deviation, say 100 to 150 Hz, even on wide. There is a bug in alignment where a newly narrow banded radio would not open for a tone QT at any level. Search this forum for squelch alignment and see if this applies. Other than that, frequency warp wayyyy out of alignment or maybe discriminator coil would reduce tone QT sensitivity.

Does the 890 decode ANY PL on another channel?

Refer to pages 74 in the attached manual to set the "QT" (PL, CTCSS) on the radio. It is advisable to go through the entire alignment procedure. There is no way to know what has been done to the radio before you got it. Hope this helps.

Chris

HummerMike

Update to my issue. Figured the squelch needed to be realigned. So, did a couple of things while at it. Added the KRK-8DBH to the radio decks so to have two decks with a front and back control head. Touched the VCO a bit on the UHF deck to get down to 441Mhz. Now it spans from 441Mhz to 469Mhz. Perfect for what I need.
Here's the kicker. Took both radios and mated with a single head to do the Test / Adjust mode portion. Supposed to be able to Turn radio on while holding the P0 button in. A small "N" should appear in the upper left side of screen. No matter what I did, it would not happen. Finally looked around in my version of the software and it will let you go into the test/adjust mode from the software. No need to do the way shown on You Tube. Realigned the squelch and is decoding the narrow band stations fine.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.