• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question - Programing Software for Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

dapaq2

Group,

Does anyone know or heard from an official or reliable source as to whether or not Kenwood currently does or plans to offer a MAC version of their two way radio programing software? I believe the answer currently is no, windows only. Are there any two way radio manufacturers that offer a MAC version of their software?

Doug

K4SVT

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Doug you would have to dual boot on a mac..thats what i do for motorola and kenwood programming works quite nicely..

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

dapaq2

Your going in another direction. I am well aware of using a dual boot setup and currently use one. But dual boot is not what I am asking about.

K4SVT

Banned
No they have never implemented software for MAC...unfortunately

Sent from my LG G Stylo on Metro PCS 4G LTE via Tapatalk

dapaq2

Makes me curious if enough of their customers started asking/demanding a MAC version to be made available if they would start offering it...

K4SVT

Banned
Me too..its like the app for the 536HP...got it out for apple...not android yet...oh yeah that big announcement about it using the app anywhere in the country yeah that does not work...

Sent from my LG G Stylo on Metro PCS 4G LTE via Tapatalk

N2AL

I know Kenwood does not manufacture Mac software, but I use CrossOver to use Windows software on my Mac, such as for Kenwood programming. I also use Chirp for Mac to program amateur radios, which will program most Kenwood amateur radios, among others. .

--
Andrew Lawson | N4AWL

N2AL

Yes I am referring to Crossover by Codeweavers. I have used it in the past and it has worked quite well.

I also penned a how-to about using Crossover to use RMS Express on Mac. If you do anything with Winlink you may want to check it out, and please feel free to offer any suggestions if you have them.

http://n4awl.com/how-to-setup-rms-express-on-os-x-apple/

--
Andrew Lawson | N4AWL

dapaq2

Ok. Thank you for the tip on using Code Weavers Crossover program. I will look into trying out their demo of the program and see if I like it.

I currently have my MAC setup for dual boot using bootcamp and Windows 7 Ultimate operating system to run my Kenwood KPG software, but I don't like the way Windows 7 behaves on my MAC. If I don't like Crossover I might have to purchase a new Windows computer after Windows 10 is released and dedicate that machine to radio programing software usage only. I would have already bought a second computer for that purpose but Windows 8 just plain outright sucks...

N2AL

Ok. Thank you for the tip on using Code Weavers Crossover program. I will look into trying out their demo of the program and see if I like it.

I currently have my MAC setup for dual boot using bootcamp and Windows 7 Ultimate operating system to run my Kenwood KPG software, but I don't like the way Windows 7 behaves on my MAC. If I don't like Crossover I might have to purchase a new Windows computer after Windows 10 is released and dedicate that machine to radio programing software usage only. I would have already bought a second computer for that purpose but Windows 8 just plain outright sucks...

Hey I understand completely. I use Windows 7 Ultimate on BootCamp and it works pretty well. You can use BootChamp, a free program on your Mac, to boot between Mac and Windows. You might want to check that out.

I have also used Parallels for Mac, as a virtual machine to run windows software. That has worked pretty well in the past and they have a free trial.

What KPG file are you using?

--
Andrew Lawson | N4AWL

dapaq2

Well, I tried Crossover and unfortunately I cannot get the cable drivers to work to bring up an available com port, so I won't be able to try the program. Looks like I will be purchasing a windows computer...

N2AL

Well, I tried Crossover and unfortunately I cannot get the cable drivers to work to bring up an available com port, so I won't be able to try the program. Looks like I will be purchasing a windows computer...

I hope you can find a way to avoid purchasing a windows computer. Windows was the reason I went to a Mac to begin with. It takes some effort to make the drivers for usb devices to work, but it has been done before. You may want to consider trying Parallels for Mac, it has preferences where you can control what devices are used which might help your situation.

--
Andrew Lawson | N4AWL

dapaq2

I own a copy of VMWARE but did not like how it functions so no longer use it...

If you have any suggestions for getting the cable drivers to work contact me via email.

N2AL

I own a copy of VMWARE but did not like how it functions so no longer use it...

If you have any suggestions for getting the cable drivers to work contact me via email.

Install the drivers into the Windows OS is what I did, and it worked fine.

--
Andrew Lawson | N4AWL

dapaq2

I am a bit confused as I have two separate boot ups, a MAC and Windows boot up . Did you install your cable drivers into the Windows Operating System within the Windows boot up or did you install them into the Windows Operating System that Crossover installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.