• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-7180 no audio problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

devile

Premium Subscriber
Hey All,

I have two TK-7180's... Both with the exact same programming. However, one of them when you key up the mic it does transmit, however it isn't transmitting any audio, just noise. We have tried with tested working mics (ie the same one on the other radio) and same result. Sometimes you'll hear a word come through the noise, but for the most part it doesn't work.

Anyone have any idea as to what could be the problem?

N2AL

How much power are you running? It is possible they are so close that they are desensitizing each other.

jim202

I would make sure your using a simplex or talk around channel when your doing the audio testing. Use of a service monitor will provide the information your radio is providing you.

Is there a chance someone has got their fingers inside the radio and messed with some of the adjustments?

The radio could be off frequency.

The radio could have a bad mic connection.

The mic gain could be turned down or set wrong.

Your to the point where a service manual and a scope are what you need next to follow the lack of mic audio.

devile

Premium Subscriber
When testing extemely close with a portable it works almost 100% reliably, but when testing with other land use mobiles further than 20 feet away and we get the result of the above.

Running 25 watts (or whatever the high setting is).

Nobody has been in the radio since it worked.

Testing other mics from other working radios, same problem.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
DID YOU CLONE THE SECOND RADIO? YOU MAY HAVE SENT IMPROPER TUNING DATA TO THE SECOND RADIO.
Always read change and program each radio. NEVER read one radio and program several radios from just one radio.
If you do not own a service monitor other and test equipment it is time to take that radio to the shop for repairs.
1. Is it on frequency test with service monitor not another radio.
2. Test the power out to a watt meter on a dummy load not guess because its the model number.
3. Does it receive the programmed frequency sent from a service monitor not another radio.
4. What does the service manual say the test specifications are TX RX current draw ect.

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
When testing extemely close with a portable it works almost 100% reliably, but when testing with other land use mobiles further than 20 feet away and we get the result of the above.

Running 25 watts (or whatever the high setting is).

Nobody has been in the radio since it worked.

Testing other mics from other working radios, same problem.
Are you using a simplex channel or on a repeater?

devile

Premium Subscriber
Simplex Channel...

It was cloned, or something as it has the same program as the others, but it has worked for a while since it's been programmed.

I maybe just need to take it to a shop if it's clearly nothing I can do...

devile

Premium Subscriber
I tired with another antenna, same problem... The I confirmed it isn't a clone, just channel programming dropped onto it. I'm thinking something broken at mic plug as the mic will key, but no voice comes through, and is intermittent regardless of what mic is connected.

N2AL

I tired with another antenna, same problem... The I confirmed it isn't a clone, just channel programming dropped onto it. I'm thinking something broken at mic plug as the mic will key, but no voice comes through, and is intermittent regardless of what mic is connected.

Have you tried using a different microphone to see if that corrects the issue?

It may be something inside the radio if another microphone produces the same results.

Andrew | N4AWL
www.n4awl.com

n5tbu

DID YOU CLONE THE SECOND RADIO? YOU MAY HAVE SENT IMPROPER TUNING DATA TO THE SECOND RADIO.
Always read change and program each radio. NEVER read one radio and program several radios from just one radio.
I .

That was a Motorola problem,Kenwood doesn't clone tuning alignment.
mod

devile

Premium Subscriber
Good no tuning alignment issue, thanks.

Tested with known working mic, same problem.

Not sure what RX Audio is.

I plan to open up the radio as soon as the truck gets back from working to look for a broken solder somewhere.

devile

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the help guys... It was a weak connection at the antenna causing the issue to be intermittent. Problem solved. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.