• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Rear Accessory Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

slapshot0017

Hello all,
Does anyone know how to turn the rear NX-700 DB25 accessory port connector into the primary mic connection that will work for a 16 key dtmf mic? Any help would be extremely appreciated!
Thank you!

Last edited:

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
What is the goal your trying to accomplish here? Why not just make up a cat5 cable to plug into the front
unless your trying to setup a dual dispatch position then you configure the options under EXTENDED FUNCTIONS.

Trying to picture what your doing here, but really your asking for something to go wrong a little quicker than your willing to take on. just my opinion.

EFM

slapshot0017

What is the goal your trying to accomplish here? Why not just make up a cat5 cable to plug into the front
unless your trying to setup a dual dispatch position then you configure the options under EXTENDED FUNCTIONS.

Trying to picture what your doing here, but really your asking for something to go wrong a little quicker than your willing to take on. just my opinion.

EFM
I'm just trying to make the rear accessory connector a mic port. It's not in use and it keeps my dash clear of wires.

I have a general gist of what to do I just want to know if anyone else has done it that can give some guidance. The only issue is how to setup up the pins and kpg. Honestly if anyone could just explain what each pin does and if any of them relate to kpg I can figure it out myself.

Last edited:

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I'm just trying to make the rear accessory connector a mic port. It's not in use and it keeps my dash clear of wires.

I have a general gist of what to do I just want to know if anyone else has done it that can give some guidance. The only issue is how to setup up the pins and kpg. Honestly if anyone could just explain what each pin does and if any of them relate to kpg I can figure it out myself.

The 25-pin D-sub connector is located on the rear panel of the transceiver and external devices, such as a Mobile Data
Terminal, can be connected to this connector.

Table 1-3 Signal Assignments for D-sub 25-pin Connector
Pin No. Signal Name Input/Output Signal Type Specifications Min. Typ. Max. Unit
1 NC - - - - - - -
2 RXD1 Input Digital Input Voltage Range -30 - 30 V Threshold Low 0.5 1.3 - V Threshold High - 1.75 2.6 V Baud Rate - - 19200 bps CL - 100 - pF
3 TXD1 Output Digital
Voltage Swing (3k Load) ±5 ±9 - V
Baud Rate - - 19200 bps
CL - 100 - pF
4 AUXIO9 Input/ Output Digital
VIH 4.0 - 5.2 V
VIL -0.5 - 1.0 V
VOH (Io = -1.5 mA) 4.0 - 5.2 V
VOL (Io = 1.5 mA) - - 1.1 V
5 DI Input Analog
Input Voltage Range
(STD Deviation) - 0.5 - Vp-p
Frequency Response
(STD Deviation)
20 Hz - 9600 Hz
-3 - 3 dB
6 MI2 Input Analog
Audio Level (STD Deviation) - 5.0 - mVrms
Allowable Frequency 300 - 3000 Hz
Input Impedance - 600 - 
7 GND - GND - - - - -
8 AUXIO8 Input/ Output Digital
VIH 4.0 - 5.2 V
VIL -0.5 - 1.0 V
9 TXD2 Output Digital
VOH (Io = -1.5 mA) 3.7 - 5.2 V
CL - 100 - pF
10 RXD2 Input Digital
VIH 2.8 - 5.2 V
VIL - - 0.65 V
CL - 100 - pF
11 GND - GND - - - - -
12 AUXIO7/
BER_DATA Input/ Output Digital
VIH 4.0 - 5.2 V
VIL -0.5 - 1.0 V
13 AUXIO6/
BER_CLK Input/ Output Digital
VIH 4.0 - 5.2 V
VIL -0.5 - 1.0 V
14 SB - Power Voltage This parameter depends on battery
voltage.
Supply Current - - 2.0 A
15 AUXO2 Output Digital
The type of this port is open collector.
VOL - - 0.4 V
IOL - - -500 mA
16 AUXO1 Output Digital
The type of this port is open collector.
VOL - - 0.4 V
IOL - - -500 mA
17 AFO Output Analog
Output Level - 0.7 - Vp-p
Coupling Capacitor - 0.1 - F
Allowable Load 100 - - k
Allowable Frequency 300 - 3000 Hz
18 GND - GND - - - - -
19 DEO Output Analog
Output Level - 0.28 - Vp-p
Coupling Capacitor - 4.7 - F
Allowable Load 47 - - k
Frequency Response (STD Deviation)
Wide: 20 Hz - 4800 Hz -6 - 1 dB
Wide: 4800 Hz -7200Hz -24 - 1 dB
Narrow: 20 Hz - 4800 Hz -15 - 1 dB
20 AUXIO5 Input/ Output Digital
VIH 4.0 - 5.2 V
VIL -0.5 - 1.0 V
21 AUXIO4 Input/ Output Digital
VIH 4.0 - 5.2 V
VIL -0.5 - 1.0 V
22 AUXIO3 Input/ Output Digital
VIH 4.0 - 5.2 V
VIL -0.5 - 1.0 V
23 AUXIO2 Input/ Output Digital
VIH 4.0 - 5.2 V
VIL -0.5 - 1.0 V
24 AUXIO1 Input/ Output Digital
VIH 4.0 - 5.2 V
VIL -0.5 - 1.0 V
25 ME - Analog This is GND port for microphone

This is the best I can do for you.
Contact your dealer to order: NX-700_800_900_CSI_K_Ver280_EN_20120831.pdf

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Yea already have that. Looking more for an explanation on their function and purpose.

Don't take this wrong please, but if you go into the Extended Functions portion, and select one of
the tabs, then hit F-1 (help) it will tell you what your wanting to know.
Every thing I have done, each one is different, and when using the TP-10 remote base, that's the only
time I have the same settings set for NX-800's.

You can assign any of the pins for PTT and for MIC-2, any answer after this would be valid, as not all will be
the same.

The NX-x20 series is using a DB-15.

Best I can say, as I have not used the back DB-25 for a KMC-26 or 32 DTMF mic.

slapshot0017

Don't take this wrong please, but if you go into the Extended Functions portion, and select one of
the tabs, then hit F-1 (help) it will tell you what your wanting to know.
Every thing I have done, each one is different, and when using the TP-10 remote base, that's the only
time I have the same settings set for NX-800's.

You can assign any of the pins for PTT and for MIC-2, any answer after this would be valid, as not all will be
the same.

The NX-x20 series is using a DB-15.

Best I can say, as I have not used the back DB-25 for a KMC-26 or 32 DTMF mic.

Hmm interesting I will take a look. Thank you!

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Have done this. A sheriff office wanted a second mic on their NX-700s mounted on the right side of the dash. The reason is to be able stand outside the patrol vehicle out of traffic and run warrant checks, etc.

You want to use MI2 off of the rear acc connector along with an I/O pin programmed as PTT. Most important the Kenwood mic has two grounds and both need to be wired to the DB-25 for this to work.

If you need more, I can look at my notes after 9/21 when I get home from vacation.

slapshot0017

Have done this. A sheriff office wanted a second mic on their NX-700s mounted on the right side of the dash. The reason is to be able stand outside the patrol vehicle out of traffic and run warrant checks, etc.

You want to use MI2 off of the rear acc connector along with an I/O pin programmed as PTT. Most important the Kenwood mic has two grounds and both need to be wired to the DB-25 for this to work.

If you need more, I can look at my notes after 9/21 when I get home from vacation.
That would be a huge help! It is a 16 key mic. Any help I will gladly take!

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I have found my notes, but re-reading your post you have the 16key mic. My hook up will work with a regular palm mic but I don't think you can get the keypad to work through the rear accessory connector. Do you still need the pin to pin for a regular mic anyway?

cmdrwill

Some mics have the DTMF tone generator in them, and they will work thru the external 'rear connector'. You will have to feed 8 volts to one of the mic pins as the 8 volts runs the 'keypad DTMF'.

Other mic 'key pads' work on data lines into the radio, and do not have any tone/DTMF in the mic. Tones, DTMF and other functions are done in the radio.

slapshot0017

I have an MC-59 mic off of a TM 281A kit. I am just really at a stand still at the moment though because even the PTT isn't working. When I plug everything in all I get is the can't do that beep or when you have a transmit incapable channel the noise it makes when you hit the ptt, if you understand that. I don't know the technical term...

Status
Not open for further replies.