• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

7160 (-k) Ignition sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

rstoltenberg1

Hello,

After my last radio quit, I got a used 7160 from a friend. He showed me it worked before it was removed from his truck. I goto put it in mine, and it won't power up. I think Ignition sense is active. It turned on and off with the key when he showed me it worked. I was pretty sure I had it wired correctly when I installed it in my truck, but it refuses to power on. I didnt get the Yellow wire from him because he was going to use it for his 7360. But I ran a wire from the yellow pin in the connector, to a 12v switched source and no go. After some research, I think it is pin 2 in the connector, which is pink. But it was still a no-go. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks

Robert

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you've got the KCT-39 cable (rectangular 15 pin connector) Pin 2, the pink wire, is the ignition sense cable. Make sure it's a known good switched power source and your DC power cables are run to the battery.

rstoltenberg1

If you've got the KCT-39 cable (rectangular 15 pin connector) Pin 2, the pink wire, is the ignition sense cable. Make sure it's a known good switched power source and your DC power cables are run to the battery.

Yes, I have the KCT-39. So the pink is the ignition sense. Thank you. If I put the Ignition sense to my constant 12v, Would that not let the radio turn on? Just to test it?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You'll need to connect the 12 volt power leads, negative and positive, appropriately.
Then, try attaching the pink wire from the #2 pin to a known good 12 volt source. You may need to manually turn the radio on using it's power switch.

If that doesn't work, you might need to open up the radio and make sure the KCT-39 cables are properly connected inside the radio.

The ignition sense function can be programmed via the software. You can disable it if you want.

rstoltenberg1

You'll need to connect the 12 volt power leads, negative and positive, appropriately.
Then, try attaching the pink wire from the #2 pin to a known good 12 volt source. You may need to manually turn the radio on using it's power switch.

If that doesn't work, you might need to open up the radio and make sure the KCT-39 cables are properly connected inside the radio.

The ignition sense function can be programmed via the software. You can disable it if you want.

The 12v leads go direct to the battery, both positive and negative are fused. I'll run the pink wire to the stereo tomorrow after it finishes raining. I'd disable it now, but I dont think I can run the software until I get the radio on with the ignition sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.