• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NXR-710 and KTI-3 multicasting

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirchner20

Hi All
I'm trying to figure out if there is a reference to get the 710 repeater to either join a multicast group or how the multicasting works. We have a Cisco IPICS system in place that works with muticasting to connect a central system to may channels, much like the KAS10 I believe.
If there is anyone with some knowledge of this or has done something similar I would appreciate any input

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
email me, I have a file that will explain it all. To big to post here.
I have setup several networks and, well, I think I can answer all your
questions with the doc I have.

EFM

kirchner20

Not sure where to find your mail address, could you please send me the docs and I will update if I do get it running for future ref. My mail kirchner20(at)gmail. Thanks again

jflagler

I have 3 repeater sites that have the Kenwood NXR-710K with the KTI-3M network interface. I have only been able to get it to work using Sonicwall firewalls on both ends with a VPN and multicasting enabled on both sides. I have tried using other devices (Cisco RV320) also with a VPN established that have the option to enable multicast pass through on both the VPN and firewall, but with no success. I'd be interested in viewing the documentation you offered to kirchner20 in hopes for a better understanding of what each devices responsibility is and how multicast is handled by the Kenwood equipment.

Thank you,
Justin

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Use unicast for better results. I will post more info later.

kd4efm Evans, sent using TapTALK on my HTC M9

jflagler

That would be much appreciated. The company that originally configured these repeaters didn't fully seem to know what they were doing, (I think this equipment was all new for them too) but I'm hopeful that the information you have will help me get it setup in a more flexible and reliable way.

Thank you again.

shmget

I'm only a hobbyist here, not a professional dealer, but keep in mind that a VPN is the right way to go with Kenwood equipment, so the IP addresses are all in the same range. If you try to connect two or more repeaters with routers that only do NAT, you will get keyups but no audio. Kenwood embeds the IP of the repeater sending data in a packet, and so when a packet arrives from the first repeater, the datagram shows the source IP of the public IP of the first repeater, but the IP embedded in the packet is the one on the local LAN. This mismatch will cause the repeater to key but not let audio through.

The hobby software we have out in Amateur radio (W7QO's NXREF) and my software (NXCore Manager) rewrite the packets so that we can link over the Internet. While my source code is available, I'd not recommend that it be used in a commercial setting, as I don't think it is quite ready yet.

But I did want to explain the technical limitation as to why this happens with Kenwood. Icom repeaters can be linked over the Internet without a VPN, as they do not perform this embedded IP packet check.

I've only seen this in unicast. I've seen the multicast settings but not tried them.

jflagler

I'm very much a noob to the 2-way radio world. It's safe to assume I know nothing. I'm and IT guy and when they requested IP information for the 3 remote sites and the 1 local site, I gave them IPs that were from a /29 subnet (different subnet for each site). There is a VPN between our local site and each of the 3 remote sites. It shouldn't be hard to change any of this if needed. I never knew that anything other than multicast was an option with these.

Based on what shmget said, it sounds like I'll need to get them all on the same subnet. That should be a simple change, but I presume there is a list of IP's that the transmission needs to go to which would still need to be configured in each of the repeaters.

Does that sound accurate?

shmget

I don't know if they all have to be on the same subnet, but you definitely don't want go through anything that performs Network Address Translation (NAT). When he is able to respond, Evans may have a better idea of what the official recommendations from Kenwood are.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I'm very much a noob to the 2-way radio world. It's safe to assume I know nothing. I'm and IT guy and when they requested IP information for the 3 remote sites and the 1 local site, I gave them IPs that were from a /29 subnet (different subnet for each site). There is a VPN between our local site and each of the 3 remote sites. It shouldn't be hard to change any of this if needed. I never knew that anything other than multicast was an option with these.

Based on what shmget said, it sounds like I'll need to get them all on the same subnet. That should be a simple change, but I presume there is a list of IP's that the transmission needs to go to which would still need to be configured in each of the repeaters.

Does that sound accurate?

site 1 = 172.16.1.1 <-- repeater 1, site 1
site 2 = 172.16.2.1
site 3 = 172.16.3.1
site 4 = 172.16.4.1

gateway at 172.16.x.254 (or 1)

This can also be the same way using class A also. 10.x.x.x, 10.20.1.61, 10.30.1.61, so on.

Just as long as each site LAN can ping the other, you will have no issues on your INTRANET.

EFM

kirchner20

Just an update, I have had some success with the routing and setup of the multicasting thanks to the documentation from kd4efm. Im battling a bit to get the repeater to register with the DR, im sure I will get past this with some tweaking. Just a note on the VPN setup, I have seen sites with the setup and not all the addresses were part of the same subnet. The reason would most lilely be the routing protocols behind them. Only the link to the L3 interfaces should be in the same subnet but there should be no reason the repeaters can not talk to each other, multicast or unicast, if the routing protocol is setup correctly. As kd4efm said, as pong as they can ping each other.

christocom

Use unicast for better results. I will post more info later.

kd4efm Evans, sent using TapTALK on my HTC M9
Hello Evans,
I understand you have a proven method for setting up the KTI-3 to work with the NXR-710, Would you please email your procedure?
My goal is to connect two NXR-710 repeaters. Both sites have internet>

Glenn Christopherson
VE6GC

Email: Christo@airenet.com

Breytie

Hi, also have two repeater sites white Kenwood NXR-710. Would you please email your procedure as well?

Regards

Breytie

Status
Not open for further replies.