RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum


Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum - For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood or EF Johnson. For discussion of Kenwood Amateur Radio Equipment, please use the Amateur Radio Equipment forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2015, 4:49 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 125
Default TK3160 UHF Value?

I was checking out the local Goodwill today and I found a Kenwood TK3160 UHF (sorry; I didn't notice what specific model it was) for $7 with two batteries, neither charged or the radio doesn't work.

Anyone think it's worth grabbing and attempting to charge to verify it works then selling? From what I've seen, a baofeng programming cable will work with it but I'll need software. And there is a possibility that it's locked and can't be programmed, etc.. It didn't have a charger, so I'd have to kludge up or purchase one, etc.

It's only $7 but lots of variables.. Figured I'd post here to see if it's something that would be valuable enough to tinker with.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2015, 5:05 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Grandview, TX
Posts: 395
Default

This may help: Kenwood TK-2160/3160 - The RadioReference Wiki
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2015, 5:40 PM
mmckenna's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: WTVLCA01DS0
Posts: 9,187
Default

Sure. $7.00 is a safe gamble.
The exact model will determine it's worth. There are three TK-3160 types:
Type 1 = 450-490MHz
Type 2 = 470-512MHz
Type 3 = 400-430MHz

Ideally, for most, the Type 1 would be preferred as it covers GMRS and the majority of the LMR frequencies. The Type 2, often called a T-band model, might be useful if you have some local stuff up in that area that you'd want to listen to.
The type 3 would be the least desirable (and probably the rarest) as it only covers what's usually the federal portion of the UHF band, although some specific cities have some LMR allocations there.

Either way, you'd likely be able to make your $7 back by selling it as a "parts" radio on e-Bay.
On the other hand, you might score something useful.

Replacement chargers and batteries are relatively cheap.
Programming software is KPG-82. You should be able to get it from a Kenwood dealer.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2015, 6:24 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
Sure. $7.00 is a safe gamble.
The exact model will determine it's worth. There are three TK-3160 types:
Type 1 = 450-490MHz
Type 2 = 470-512MHz
Type 3 = 400-430MHz

Ideally, for most, the Type 1 would be preferred as it covers GMRS and the majority of the LMR frequencies. The Type 2, often called a T-band model, might be useful if you have some local stuff up in that area that you'd want to listen to.
The type 3 would be the least desirable (and probably the rarest) as it only covers what's usually the federal portion of the UHF band, although some specific cities have some LMR allocations there.

Either way, you'd likely be able to make your $7 back by selling it as a "parts" radio on e-Bay.
On the other hand, you might score something useful.

Replacement chargers and batteries are relatively cheap.
Programming software is KPG-82. You should be able to get it from a Kenwood dealer.
Aha, I see that now from the URL above.. ALH36423110 is type 1, ALH36423120 type 2, and ALH36423130 is type 3. I'll look closer at it to see which specific model type it is.

Any idea if I'm right about the baofeng cable working with it? I saw some vague references but I'm not convinced... If so, I did see the software around.

I might go ahead and grab it and see about jerry rigging up charging and see if I can get it up and running. It's taken a bit of a beating, but I would be surprised if it's non-working. I even see chargers for pretty cheap on Amazon... if it's working and I can program it, with a charger, I can probably get the resell value up higher. I see some on ebay in the $50 range but no idea if they actually sell at that price, but might be worth a go.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2015, 6:57 PM
mmckenna's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: WTVLCA01DS0
Posts: 9,187
Default

I've heard the Baofeng cables will work too, but I've never tried it. I seem to recall some mention of "modification", but that could be incorrect.
If you don't already have the cable, just purchase one of the after market cables off of e-Bay. Even if you don't want to keep the radio, selling the radio + charger + battery + programming cable will surely make you some cash.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2015, 7:46 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 649
Default

I've never had a Baofeng cable not work on a Kenwood and vice versa. You should be good to go. Did have a cheap Baofeng mic not play right with a Kenwood one time but that's all.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-28-2015, 9:37 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 125
Default

Drat! I should have done more in-store research, went back this morning and it's gone. Ah well
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-28-2015, 1:38 PM
krokus's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 3,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
I've heard the Baofeng cables will work too, but I've never tried it. I seem to recall some mention of "modification", but that could be incorrect.
If you don't already have the cable, just purchase one of the after market cables off of e-Bay. Even if you don't want to keep the radio, selling the radio + charger + battery + programming cable will surely make you some cash.
A CCR programming cable is what I use to program my TH-F6; so as long as the LMR side uses the same pin-out, it should work.

Sent via Tapatalk
__________________
Generic radio geek, in southeast Michigan.
PSR-500, TM-742, TM-V71,TH-78, HTX-420, IC-2AT, IC-2E (clone), Pro-39, BC-235XLT, TK-290, XTS-5000
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2018, 12:16 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Merrillville, Indiana
Posts: 264
Default

I have several of these Kenwood TK-3160's of the dash 3 band split (400 - 430 MHz), does anyone know if there is a way to make or modify this radio to work for ham or gmrs? Changing the model frequency to 450 - 490 MHz and entering the desired frequencies does NOT work, all I get is an audible 'error tone'. I am thinking maybe HEX editing can be done on the firmware??? Or will the transmitter and receiver simply not support or function on frequencies other than 400 - 430 MHz???

Thank you,
Doug

Last edited by dapaq2; 07-08-2018 at 12:28 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2018, 12:21 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 649
Red face

I've had no luck getting them to work out of their intended band. Maybe someone else can speak up but I'm pretty sure you'll need a different split radio.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2018, 12:49 AM
mmckenna's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: WTVLCA01DS0
Posts: 9,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapaq2 View Post
I have several of these Kenwood TK-3160's of the dash 3 band split (400 - 430 MHz), does anyone know if there is a way to make or modify this radio to work for ham or gmrs? Changing the model frequency to 450 - 490 MHz and entering the desired frequencies does NOT work, all I get is an audible 'error tone'. I am thinking maybe HEX editing can be done on the firmware??? Or will the transmitter and receiver simply not support or function on frequencies other than 400 - 430 MHz???

You might be able to hex edit it, but the VCO will unlock somewhere outside the 400-430 range. Exactly how far would need to be determined. I can almost guarantee you that you will not be able to stretch it up to GMRS. You might get it a bit above 430MHz into the 70cm band, but I'd be surprised if you tricked it into working in the repeater section of the band.

You'd need to swap out the TX/RX board and figure out some way to make it think it was a different model.
Of course then you've voided the type certification and it wouldn't be legal for use anywhere other than the amateur radio band.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2018, 1:09 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Merrillville, Indiana
Posts: 264
Default

Thank you for your input on this Matt. Much appreciated. I was only looking at trying to possibly turn these into useful radios, as right now they are totally useless to me and doesn't sound like useful is going to happen...
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2018, 10:16 AM
mmckenna's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: WTVLCA01DS0
Posts: 9,187
Default

You are not alone. Back when I was active on some of the GMRS only boards, there were a lot of people that ended up with the 400-430 range UHF radios. Either they got them for free, or purchased them accidentally off e-bay. A lot of frustration trying to make them work on GMRS.

It'd be a good parts radio, but that's about it. Very few places in the country where non-federal users can use those frequencies.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions