• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK2180

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhfdcadet

Premium Subscriber
Just bought my first kenwood
I have been a die hard motorola guy for years, finally had a buddy convince me to buy a kenwood, so i am going to try it out
I have never touched a kenwood before, so does anybody have any tips or tricks for general use of the radio or any pointers for programming? i have never seen their programming software before so i am entering uncharted territory

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I have been a die hard motorola guy for years, finally had a buddy convince me to buy a kenwood, so i am going to try it out
I have never touched a kenwood before, so does anybody have any tips or tricks for general use of the radio or any pointers for programming? i have never seen their programming software before so i am entering uncharted territory
Easier to use than Motorola CPS. some stuff is confusing, but if you read the help files they do actually help. Make sure you look through all the pages under the edit button. Lots of stuff not in plain sight. Good luck. I habe a bunch of Kenwoods and love them.

DJ11DLN

We've used Kenwood radios, handheld and mobile/base, since the early '90s and are very pleased with them. Never had one needing serious service. Usually if something happens to a handheld, it's done, i.e. got run over, got dropped from a great height onto a hard surface, fell into the fire, etc. I've seen them fall 20' or more and hit a hard surface, battery pops off, put it back on and unless it broke the antenna it's good to go again. You know what kind of a life a fire service radio lives, you can imagine. Closest model to yours we have is a couple of 2160s, they're as good as the rest have been.

As far as the FPU software goes, it will take a little figuring out, just as any kind will, but IMHO it isn't overly difficult and I've never known any of it to be "buggy." Good luck, I think you'll like your Kenwood.:wink:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I concur, the software is easier to use that most of the Motorola software I've used. And, unlike older Motorola software, the Kenwood help files are pretty useful.

I've got 387 (by last count) Kenwood 800MHz radios on our trunked system. I've had one failure, a bad LCD display that was replaced under warrantee. That was 3+ years ago, no other issues.

Our PD liked the 800MHz radios, so when it was time to replace their VHF radios, they went entirely with Kenwood. Our fire department has been Kenwood for 15+ years.

In my own experience, much better support from the manufacturer, too.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
As far as the FPU software goes, it will take a little figuring out, just as any kind will, but IMHO it isn't overly difficult and I've never known any of it to be "buggy." Good luck, I think you'll like your Kenwood.:wink:

There are some things I do not like, but all in all, FPU does what it is supposed to do, is laid out pretty decently and is not bloated. Plus it is not full of bugs and being updated every other day. Same goes for radio firmware.

I agree, you will like Kenwood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nhfdcadet

Premium Subscriber
thanks for the input guys.
like i said i have always been a moto guy, ht1250, ht1550, xts3000, spectra, cdm, never had any other brands, so im excited to see what the kenwood can do

w8prr

Premium Subscriber
My old employer used Motorola and Kenwood Repeaters and there was no difference in the reliability of them. Dispatch was Motorola but 95% of radios on the street were Kenwood. We could reprogram them easily, if there was a new version it would tell us there might be something that was different, but would let us program them anyway. Motorola would take one in for service, reprogram with newer software and ours would then be useless. Not so with Kenwood. All in all, I'd take the Kenwood any day over big M

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
... All in all, I'd take the Kenwood any day over Motorola

Ok, fixed that for you. They are not 'big M'. Pet peeve.

I agree, pretty easy choice TK-x180 vs. HT-1x50. TK-x180 all day long. Much more flexible, better built, better accessories, OST(equivalent to Motorola MPL) is 40 tone/code pairs and much larger channel capacity.

I am using a HT-750 right now, and would rather be using my personal NX-200, not allowed to use the personal radio though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.