• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX-5000 Series, Q&A, Info, and details

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Old thread "Kenwood NX-5000 dual-mode P25/NXDN radios" is closed, so I am starting another one.

Got my 3rd deck in yesterday. I will have a photo before long of the Multi-dek RF View.

EFM

Reactions: RRR

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
There will be a release of Version 1.65 in the next week or so, trying to obtain an update to what it will have.

All radios shipping out since Dec. 2015 will have this firmware.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've got the basic head VHF mobile sitting somewhere at work, still waiting to get my hands on it. I like the expanded head, though.
I'm looking at purchasing a new truck sometime this year and was thinking about my radio options. I might replace my CDM-1550 with a 5700 with the expanded head. Add more RF decks as time goes on.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
You will love. As you know..

kd4efm Evans, sent using TapTALK on my HTC M9

Colton25

How do you like the multi-deck option? Is it better then having 2 separate radios? I FINALLY got my 5700 with extended head installed. I had quite the time with Kenwood for over a month, I had to send the radio back due to the head not coming on, then when i got it back the head came on but the power button wouldn't turn the radio off.. Anyways i'm finally in service, only issue now is i can't figure out why it won't scan. The scan indicator at the top of the screen is flashing.

You will love. As you know..

Colton25

Fixed the scan issue somehow after tweaking with the settings here's my extended head installed.
8fd6ffdf71715e7e7abfa0ae2f7fc3bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DisasterGuy

IF these did DMR and P25 and IF they were true multiband (in one RF deck) I would consider them for some of our applications.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Colton25

Can anybody explain systems vs zones? What should be used for what? I've always had one zone for each county, this way it's more organized. This is the first radio I've owned with the system option. I've been pondering if o should make a system for each county, then within the system making a zone for each public service for example making a zone within the system for fire, pd, ems and so on.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Can anybody explain systems vs zones? What should be used for what? I've always had one zone for each county, this way it's more organized. This is the first radio I've owned with the system option. I've been pondering if o should make a system for each county, then within the system making a zone for each public service for example making a zone within the system for fire, pd, ems and so on.

System, if you have separate id info.

Zones, where you define the system and talkgroup info of said system.

Works hand and hand.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
IF these did DMR and P25 and IF they were true multiband (in one RF deck) I would consider them for some of our applications.

Some of your applications?

No, DMR and p25 in it, not anytime this year. Multi band single deck, can't answer that, but with the 3 decks, I can do what I do, as a radio Tech, and have the free space I need with out so many control heads.

DMR is not federal grant approved.
I wish people would get that vendor locking idea out of their heads. Get over vendor locking, there are better things out there than Motorola.

#noTOvendorLOCKING

DisasterGuy

Some of your applications?

No, DMR and p25 in it, not anytime this year. Multi band single deck, can't answer that, but with the 3 decks, I can do what I do, as a radio Tech, and have the free space I need with out so many control heads.

DMR is not federal grant approved.
I wish people would get that vendor locking idea out of their heads. Get over vendor locking, there are better things out there than Motorola.

#noTOvendorLOCKING

The application for me would be a radio that could replace my Harris 100m (single deck all band) and also be able to work on some of the UHF commercial systems we interface with.

I agree that DMR is NOT a solution for public safety however it is also not proprietary (speaking of true DMR as implemented by everyone other than Motorola on their trunking products). DMR does however have its place in government and we are moving toward it (Tier 2) for some of our users (schools) where it makes more sense than to load them onto the P25 system primarily due to subscriber form factor options and to a lesser extent subscriber price.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
The application for me would be a radio that could replace my Harris 100m (single deck all band) and also be able to work on some of the UHF commercial systems we interface with.

I agree that DMR is NOT a solution for public safety however it is also not proprietary (speaking of true DMR as implemented by everyone other than Motorola on their trunking products). DMR does however have its place in government and we are moving toward it (Tier 2) for some of our users (schools) where it makes more sense than to load them onto the P25 system primarily due to subscriber form factor options and to a lesser extent subscriber price.

Fair enough.

[emoji106]

Sierraz

NX-5300

I'm having problems switching off "priority" on my NX-5300 portable. Every time I try to scan in "Normal" mode it reverts back to "Priority". I'm sure I missed something while programming, new to the software, any suggestions?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I'm having problems switching off "priority" on my NX-5300 portable. Every time I try to scan in "Normal" mode it reverts back to "Priority". I'm sure I missed something while programming, new to the software, any suggestions?
Look in the scan section of KPG-D1
That's where priority can be defined as user or selection.

Sierraz

NX-5300

Thanks kd4efm, I tried all (None,fixed,operator selectable and selected) with no luck. I have no scan lists and all priorities are set to none. I have my nx-300 set to operator selectable and it works fine, I can assign priority to any channel I want and scan normal with no issues. Confused

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Thanks kd4efm, I tried all (None,fixed,operator selectable and selected) with no luck. I have no scan lists and all priorities are set to none. I have my nx-300 set to operator selectable and it works fine, I can assign priority to any channel I want and scan normal with no issues. Confused
Drop me an email tomorrow (or now) and I will get with you. I may need to look at you codeplug, I will look on my portable and see, I use multi zone scan with no priority.

Efm

Colton25

What would cause a squelch noise at the end of received transmissions? It sounds like the squelch closing. On my old radio it would do this but it was only when I had OST on.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
What would cause a squelch noise at the end of received transmissions? It sounds like the squelch closing. On my old radio it would do this but it was only when I had OST on.

Make a short video of it and send to me, I can't duplicate the mentioned issue. I will also need that channel info so I can replicate it in the shop and check.

Status
Not open for further replies.