RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum

Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum - For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood or EF Johnson. For discussion of Kenwood Amateur Radio Equipment, please use the Amateur Radio Equipment forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2016, 6:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thumbs up

Hi Guys, don't stress.
You can have 2 digital protocols at any time
DMR & P25 with analog
DMR & NXDN with analog
Sponsored links
Old 07-18-2016, 6:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyburton1 View Post
Hi Guys,
You can have 2 digital protocols at any time
DMR & P25 with analog
DMR & NXDN with analog
And your source is?

I have my info direct from kwd, they are saying p25, or DMR. NXDN will not be removed from the firmware. The p25 phase 2 will be replaced with the DMR code. They are wishing it to have all four modes, but the feelings from Japan says otherwise. Trust me, the kwd guys in R&D want it to have it all, and are being told, we shall see.

kd4efm Evans, sent using TapTALK on my HTC M9
Old 07-18-2016, 6:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Let me be very clear, they also said no one has laid out how it will be handled either. Until it is sent to the US systems group for review, no one is piping what it will do, at best look for it to be version 2.0.

Old 07-18-2016, 6:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Please trust me. This ability is a game changer.

Last edited by roxyburton1; 07-18-2016 at 7:02 PM..
Old 07-18-2016, 6:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I guess so. Where are you located?

Sponsored links
Old 07-18-2016, 10:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Okay, Roxy, I have been on the phone and email with some folks. They saw the photo, they are calling
it a BLUFF. Not sure where you got it, so at this point in time, I see no further to validate what you call
the "game changer" here.

The individual who called you out states that is photoshop and not according to the actual program.

Unless you have something more creditable, like the ABOUT screenshot, I can't take your word.

Sorry, but I have a highly reliable source and direct contact with those who write the program for the US side.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

A Subscriber Unit (SU) supports two digital protocols simultaneously by supporting the DMR
protocol. An analog protocol and two different digital protocols can be set in a single SU. The
following three protocol combinations are available: FM/NXDN/P25, FM/DMR/NXDN, and
FM/DMR/P25. The following functions are also provided to smoothly migration the currently used
analog or digital protocol to a desired digital protocol
Old 09-03-2016, 3:09 AM

If it is trur, it sucks. I hoped to get 3 digital modes. I no need radio with combunation of one analog + 2 digitals mode on my choice.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyburton1 View Post
A Subscriber Unit (SU) supports two digital protocols simultaneously by supporting the DMR
protocol. An analog protocol and two different digital protocols can be set in a single SU. The
following three protocol combinations are available: FM/NXDN/P25, FM/DMR/NXDN, and
FM/DMR/P25. The following functions are also provided to smoothly migration the currently used
analog or digital protocol to a desired digital protocol
Or offer interoperability. A department can save thousands on a DMR install and offer P25 for "interoperability". It'll take a while for that to grow out as a valid alternative as Tier 3 would probably be a requirement for that.
Old 09-05-2016, 1:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up DMR TESTING :)

They are testing the firmware and software i heard ..shouldnt be long now
Old 09-05-2016, 1:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

DMR was never intended to be used as a Public Safety protocol. That's why there is P25 phase 2. Most PSA ignore the warnings about that. It is what it is.

Old 09-05-2016, 1:55 PM

Situation changes. After a few years, eLTE and DRM Tier 3 can become most popular Public Safety standards. It's could be. Even Motorola confirms that new broadband wires networks will replace traditional LMR infrastructure. But DMR very attractive and competitive. Now Tier 3 is very close to TETRA with it's features. It means that we have very seious competitor. And it's approval for PS is just a question of time and money.

What we see now? P25 Phase II is not very popular and growing not so fast as was expected. Also, it’s extremely expensive (and continues to increase price of everything, from radios to services, from parts to software; in case of Motorola). But Huawei and Hytera can seriously change this industry by penetrating NA market with their eLTE and DMR solutions.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3AAG View Post
Situation changes. After a few years, eLTE and DRM Tier 3 can become most popular Public Safety standards. It's could be. Even Motorola confirms that new broadband wires networks will replace traditional LMR infrastructure. But DMR very attractive and competitive. Now Tier 3 is very close to TETRA with it's features. It means that we have very seious competitor. And it's approval for PS is just a question of time and money.

What we see now? P25 Phase II is not very popular and growing not so fast as was expected. Also, it’s extremely expensive (and continues to increase price of everything, from radios to services, from parts to software; in case of Motorola). But Huawei and Hytera can seriously change this industry by penetrating NA market with their eLTE and DMR solutions.
Hytera…would have to have a working Tier 3 solution first and their support honestly sucks…but Sepura and Tait have some very good opportunities. Now, as you stated DMR does have many similar features to TETRA. In fact there are only one that I can currently think of that aren't offered currently…gateway mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4efm View Post
DMR was never intended to be used as a Public Safety protocol. That's why there is P25 phase 2. Most PSA ignore the warnings about that. It is what it is.

If only that statement was correct…DMR, like TETRA, was designed to be a public safety and commercial solution. P25 Phase 2 was designed in order to meet a prospective 6.25 kHz equivalent mandated…which is going into effect on January 1, 2017 in the US in the 700 MHz Public Safety band. That's even ignoring the fact that Phase 2 is a trunked only solution (so anything conventional will remain Phase 1).

When you actually look at APCO25, it has had some "odd" pushes. Ever think it was funny that P25 really wasn't all that much more expensive when it debuted in the late 90s compared to the analog (wideband only) solutions it replaced…looking right at the Saber and Spectra lines here? Or that as soon as federal funding became available the prices skyrocketed (supply and demand). Ever find it funny that federal funding required purchased equipment to be capable of the P25 CAI even though federal interoperability is 100% analog because it is the "North American Public Safety standard"? Or any coincidence that Phase 2 is the only technology which meets the 6.25 kHz equivalent requirement in 700 MHz?

I mean when you actually sit down and look, there a a lot of coincidences concerning equipment availability, timing with narrow band mandates, and migrations to higher frequencies (which require an increase in system sites). In the end, it's all about money.
Old 09-22-2016, 8:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

DMR for the NX-5000 series has been put into it's final phase for US release.
It WILL BE A PURCHASE LICENSED OPTION
It will be authenticated with the LMC (kpt-300lmc) like that of the P25 and other options licenses.

It has been told it will be P25-DMR, DMR-NXDN, or NXDN-P25. (analog and ltr remains unchanged)
(firmware and software updates)

No exact date, but told within the next 3-4 weeks, now the the US documentation has been submitted.

That is all I know at this time. *I CAN'T VOUCH FOR THE AUTHENTICITY OF THIS, BUT HAVE
HIGH TRUSTWORTHY WORD "along these lines, this is what to expect."
Old 09-22-2016, 8:37 PM

Price estimates (if any)? What's the current version run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2016, 8:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs13pa View Post
Price estimates (if any)? What's the current version run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
as of tonight, I am told it goes from Version 1.73 -> Version 2.xx

and no, price was not disclosed. When it is released to the shops from the Manu Reps, I will know then.
I have to wait too.

E
Old 09-22-2016, 9:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
It will be authenticated with the LMC (kpt-300lmc) like that of the P25 and other options licenses.

It has been told it will be P25-DMR, DMR-NXDN, or NXDN-P25. (analog and ltr remains unchanged)

No exact date, but told within the next 3-4 weeks, now the the US documentation has been submitted.

That is all I know at this time. *I CAN'T VOUCH FOR THE AUTHENTICITY OF THIS, BUT HAVE
Isn't that what I said weeks ago....Trust me!
Old 09-23-2016, 12:38 AM

Quote:

kd4efm or RoxyBurton1,

Any idea why they've limited it to only 2 digital emissions? Is it a marketing thing or a physical limitation of the radio?
Can't deny that I would have loved to see a P25/NXDN/DMR/Analog radio as an option, just to make this a real challenge to some of the other brands. As it stands, I could have a use for one that did all 4 for some work stuff, but it isn't critical.
Old 09-23-2016, 5:33 AM

It really sucks! I no need 2 modes at the same time, I need 3 modes at the same time. And I can suppose, that Kenwood will ask for $200-250 for DMR option. In this case, it will not work. Expensive and not so universal as expected. But I hope, that they can remove something else, like 9600 trunking (in special firmware three), and offer 3 digital modes at the same time instead! For those who no need P25 trunking for example.
Old 09-23-2016, 3:42 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Question..... does the EF Johnson announced "Perpetual Software License" apply to the Kenwood branded NX-5000 line? My thinking with all these options (p25, dmr, fpp etc) if I buy a radio and break it or a new model comes out and can move the licenses to a new radio, that is a huge savings long term if you are a frequent updater. If yes, any caveats (must have a minimum number of radios to get a Vault account assined etc)?