• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK-7360

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD9BKH

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I am have a TX issue with a Kenwood TK-7360 Commercial radio (VHF). The issue is that I can not TX on the first two channels in the radio, or it is actually TX'ing, however I do not get any feed back from the repeaters. I have the red LED active when it hit the PTT on the mic, so I really do believe that it is really TX'ing. The repeaters are commercial. They are for Fire and EMS specifically, and yes, I am affiliated with two volunteer departments that use the repeaters as a primary source of being toned out on and as backup to TX dispatch. The two repeaters that I can not hit on this Kenwood, I am able to on any other mobile or HT. I have confirmed TX, RX freqs, and the DCS tones that are used. The first channel does have the 2-Tone signalling option for a set of two QCII tones to be decoded. I can still monitor these two repeaters just fine with out any QC tones being encoded from dispatch (like having an open pager). I can hit my local EMA repeater that is also commercial just fine, I can TX, RX it with out issue, and its the same brand repeater as the first two. So I can't tell if its the radio, the software I am using or if its just a glitch, or a specific setting that I need to set up. The software I am using is the KPG-135D version 2.11 I also use this radio for Amateur use without any issue. It just the first two channels in the radio that I can not TX on. Any ideals. You can reply to here or email me at kd9bkh@gmail.com

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Check and make sure the channels are programmed properly, with the correct PL/DPL and correct deviation is selected. Check that power is adequate for the radio, check that the radio is actually transmitting, and that the antenna is tuned for the frequencies you are using.

KD9BKH

Premium Subscriber
Thank you. I have checked that stuff before posting. I have confirmed everything. I can TX on other channels without issue. I can hit a 2m repeater 56 miles away at 50 watts. I can TX the other commercial repeater that is in the same frequency range as the first two repeaters. This is why I am scratching my head. I don't get it. I even started out with a fresh code plug with no change in condition.

KD9BKH

Premium Subscriber
I already tried that as well. I only have one repeater that I get toned off of. The other I dont. I can not TX on both of them, or I should say that the repeater is not accepting me. I had a HT that I was able to program the TX freq on and was able to her my TX. So who knows at this point.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK, forgive me for asking, but since I see an amateur call sign, I've got to ask:
You aren't trying to use 600KHz offsets on the VHF public safety repeaters, are you?
Just checking, no offense intended.

Have the two repeaters been narrowbanded like the were supposed to in Jan 01,2013? Reason I ask is that through a wide band repeater a narrow signal might not have enough deviation on the PL tone to trigger it.

Can you provide the TX and RX frequencies? There is often a list of frequencies that have issues for these radios due to internal oscillator interference. I'll have to dig up the service manual to see if they match. It'd be a helluva freak thing if both of them were, but it's worth a shot.

You are using the correct PL or DCS tone, right? Not confusing the DPL as a PL or vice/versa?

Have you physically checked power output with a watt meter?

Have you tried setting the RX side to carrier squelch? Just to eliminate that...

Do you hear your mobile triggering the repeater on another radio, or is it not even doing that? Looking to see if it's a TX or an RX issue.

About the only other thing I can think of would be for you to post a screen shot of the channel edit screen so we can get some more eyes on it. I'm sure you've set it up right, but it's easy to make an error and not see it. A few others looking at it might help.

KD9BKH

Premium Subscriber
LOL, No. Im not using the standard 600khz offset. I'm not a NOOB when it comes to radios. Yes, the repeaters are narrowbanded and were put in service in 2015. The radio will not get into the machine at all. No other radio will RX when I use this radio. I will PM you with the specifics. Even if I have the 2-Tone option on I can still monitor that channel with out any CQII tones that need to be decoded. I also have tried to set the Carrier Squelch as well with no change.

KD9BKH

Premium Subscriber
See attached.

Attachments

• Kenwood.jpg
    Kenwood.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,077
  • Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,082
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,064
  • Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 928
  • Screenshot_4.jpg
    Screenshot_4.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,002

KD9BKH

Premium Subscriber
See again. Channel 5 is private. Its the 3rd repeater.

Attachments

• Screenshot_6.jpg
    Screenshot_6.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,226
  • Screenshot_5.jpg
    Screenshot_5.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 988
  • Screenshot_7.jpg
    Screenshot_7.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,144

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Are you trying to listen with another radio in close proximity to this radio? If so you may be experiencing de sense.

Edit:
You may want to correct the transmit frequency for channel 8. I'm assuming it should be simplex, but you have a default frequency of 136.0000MHz

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm not finding the manual I need.
However, there is a "beat shift" for the CPU. It's in the programming software, but I'm not at work so I can't tell you exactly where. I think it's either under the Channel Edit or Optional Features 1.
Give that a try. I'm not very hopeful that it's going to fix it, but maybe we can narrow some things down.

What is the exact model number? Should be something like TK-7360H(V) type M or K. The M or K version will dictate which version of programming software you need to use. KPG-135DK or KPG-135DM.

And.... what is the radio firmware version?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK, beat shift is under the Channel Edit. Try clicking it for the "transceiver" for both those channels. Again, I'm not confident it's the solution, but it's worth a try.

Looking over the screen grabs it looks OK. If your frequencies and DQT settings are correct, it looks like it should be working.

sfd119

Unless I'm mistaken, you said its Channel 3 in the Kenwood screenshot, "54 CFD"?

If that's the case, your TX/RX are the same....

KD9BKH

Premium Subscriber
Channel 3 is fine. Channel 1 and two are the ones I can not Tx on. I will try the beat shift here after bit to see if it makes a difference.

sfd119

Do a screen shot of Channel 2 under the Channel Edit option.

Known good coax to the radio? Known good antenna? Coax tightened on? Are you within range of the repeater?

KD9BKH

Premium Subscriber
Yes, to all. I have inspected everything for its integrity before I posted this thread. I exhausted all options before I have done so. I have not yet uploaded my recent code plug yet, but here are the screen shots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_9.png
    Screenshot_9.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 923
  • Screenshot_8.png
    Screenshot_8.png
    38 KB · Views: 970

KD9BKH

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I know the Beat Shift is normally off, mmckenna suggested me to try it on. It has been set on "none" the whole time. After I wrote the code plug, and the radio restarted, I got toned out on a medical call. The radio decoded the tones just fine, however I was still unable to TX to the repeater. See attached photos.

Attachments

• Screenshot_11.png
    Screenshot_11.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,019
  • Screenshot_10.png
    Screenshot_10.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,007
Status
Not open for further replies.