• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX-340

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevormcfar

Hi Guys,

What is the difference between Version 1 and Version 2. Any performance increase? The old version (1) was programmed by my dealer at "very Narrow" (not sure what this means), but he had a 6.25 number referrenced on it. The new ones we purchased are Version2 and they were programed the same, but they did them at Narrow (12.5). As such they do not talk to one another. The dealer said they had to upgrade the firmware on version 1, but could not. as such, they programmed all my radios at Very Narrow and they said there may be a differnece in performance but could not tell me what.

Can anyone help Explain what they are doing and if I am getting max performance out of the radio?

Trevor.

racingfan360

they programmed all my radios at Very Narrow and they said there may be a differnece in performance but could not tell me what.
Can anyone help Explain what they are doing and if I am getting max performance out of the radio?
Trevor.

I can't really help with explaining the version 1 and version 2 differences you quote for a NX340.

However there are some performance enhancements of opting with Very Narrow (also referred to as NXDN4800 or 6.25 kHz bandwidth) vs Narrow (NXDN9600 or 12.5 kHz), as well as being more spectrally efficient. Check out this thread for details:

http://forums.radioreference.com/kenwood-forum/333318-reason-using-9600-nxdn.html

NXDN Narrow and Very Narrow are not compatible (as you've already found out)

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
When NX340's first came out (ver 1) the were only capable of operating on very narrow bandwidth (6.25KHz). Other NX radios could be set for very narrow or narrow (12.5 KHz) in contrast.

As mentioned, all radios need to be set the same otherwise no make speaks between the two.

Version 2 radios now do dual bandwidths. Why your dealer sold you newer radios with the wrong bandwidth in them is beyond me. Don't they keep customer records? If all you are doing is voice, very narrow works just fine. No need to upgrade firmware of the earlier radios, they will all talk just peachy.

Get your dealer to square away the radios so they all talk together and tell them to quit jacking you around.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
So can a V1 radio be upgraded to a V2?

As SAFFA said, it can not be upgraded due to being different hardware. Having said that, have your dealer program the Ver. 2 radios to be very narrow(NXDN4800). Also don't let them charge you for it. They screwed up and as such, should be making it right.

EWC_BDN

From what i know. In my companies experience, very narrow has better range in most cases. we had a customer switch to Narrow due to them added a data system. They lost coverage when they went to 12.5 vs what they had at 6.25.

The rx specs for 6.25 are better on paper too, at least for the NX300. For that radio, they listed 6.25 as having <3%BER at 0.20uV vs the 12.5 had <3%BER at 0.25uV. NX340 lists <3 BER for 0.25uV with 6.25. It doesn't list a spec for the 12.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.