• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX-3000

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAFFA

Hi Guys.

I hear through the grape vine that kenwood will be bringing out a midtier range of digital radios to replace the NX-_20 series.

It will apparently be called the NX-3_00.

Has anyone else heard anything about this and have any info?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yes
NX-5000 is the top tier.
NX-3000 is supposed to be a mid tier, NXDN and DMR. What I've seen suggests a release date of mid 2017, so maybe we'll see something at IWCE.

toastycookies

TK-D3188

TK-D3188

7efCuMk.jpg

SCPD

QRT
Good looking radio, I want one!!. Wonder what the MSRP will be and then what the dealers will sell it as, including the programming software and cable.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Good looking radio, I want one!!. Wonder what the MSRP will be and then what the dealers will sell it as, including the programming software and cable.

IWCE is the end of March, and that's often when these sorts of announcements come out. The product timeline that I was shown last year put the release date on these sometime mid 2017, so that would match up.
List pricing will be released also. I suspect these will be in the $500 range since they are considered a "mid tier" model.
Analog, NXDN and DMR will be likely, but the DMR will probably be an extra cost feature.

I'll be at IWCE and I'll post what I find, if I don't hear something sooner.

SAFFA

What I've heard is that it will either be nxdn or dmr, you won't be able to have both protocols in the radio at once like the Nx5000

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks, I have that e-mail sitting in my "IN" box, but haven't had time to read it.

I haven't seen anything on the Kenwood dealer tools page yet, but it's been a few days since I looked.

With IWCE coming the end of the month, this is the time of year that many of the new releases start happening. Likely we'll see stuff from other manufacturers over the next few weeks.

I'll be headed down to Las Vegas to see what I can see.

Colton25

Can you ask Kenwood something when you go? I know people have talked before about having the capability of more 2-tone decode sets. Can you ask if this would be hard to add to the 5000 series? Or if not can it be added to the 4,000 channel option? I would love this and i would be willing to purchase the 4,000 channel option just for this. I think it would really set Kenwood apart from others.

IWCE is the end of March, and that's often when these sorts of announcements come out. The product timeline that I was shown last year put the release date on these sometime mid 2017, so that would match up.

List pricing will be released also. I suspect these will be in the $500 range since they are considered a "mid tier" model.

Analog, NXDN and DMR will be likely, but the DMR will probably be an extra cost feature.

I'll be at IWCE and I'll post what I find, if I don't hear something sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Can you ask Kenwood something when you go? I know people have talked before about having the capability of more 2-tone decode sets. Can you ask if this would be hard to add to the 5000 series? Or if not can it be added to the 4,000 channel option? I would love this and i would be willing to purchase the 4,000 channel option just for this. I think it would really set Kenwood apart from others.

I'll see what I can get. Unlikely they'll do much with 2 tone, as it's unusual to need more than a few.

Colton25

I'd really appreciate it. I understand the fact that it may not be a high necessity but seems like it would just require a software and firmware update that could be released in the future. Am I wrong? I've done lots of searching for this option and the only company I've found to offer this in a commercial radio is Relm. I'd think Kenwood would want to do all they can to set themselves apart from the competition, especially if it's something that doesn't require a large amount of development (low cost).

I'll see what I can get. Unlikely they'll do much with 2 tone, as it's unusual to need more than a few.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'd really appreciate it. I understand the fact that it may not be a high necessity but seems like it would just require a software and firmware update that could be released in the future. Am I wrong? I've done lots of searching for this option and the only company I've found to offer this in a commercial radio is Relm. I'd think Kenwood would want to do all they can to set themselves apart from the competition, especially if it's something that doesn't require a large amount of development (low cost).

Considering they cannot fit DMR, NXDN and P25 all in the radio at the same time, there's likely space issues. Building special firmware is expensive. Even adding this to firmware is no small task. There's a lot of testing involved and existing work in line to get included.

In other words, I wouldn't bet on it.

I tried to get them to add more than one MDC profile to the TX-5x10's a while back and was flat out told "no". Even though Motorola allows more MDC profiles and the radios are in competition (public safety/P25).

With more systems going digital, the need for analog features is shrinking.

But, I'll try.

SAFFA

I'm interested to see what trunking protocols the NX-3000 will have, I'm 100% sure it will have type C, but I wonder if it will have Type D like the NX-220 series. I hope it does as i have both type C and type d networks running....time will tell

Colton25

Yeah I understand, thanks

Considering they cannot fit DMR, NXDN and P25 all in the radio at the same time, there's likely space issues. Building special firmware is expensive. Even adding this to firmware is no small task. There's a lot of testing involved and existing work in line to get included.

In other words, I wouldn't bet on it.

I tried to get them to add more than one MDC profile to the TX-5x10's a while back and was flat out told "no". Even though Motorola allows more MDC profiles and the radios are in competition (public safety/P25).

With more systems going digital, the need for analog features is shrinking.

But, I'll try.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
I like the look of the new NX3000s... I wish we'd get something that looks like the NX700/x180s, but it doesn't look too bad. Will be getting one when they come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.