• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Powering Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
I have a Kenwood 7180 and most times when I key up the radio it powers off then on. Any thoughts on what could be causing it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MSS-Dave

Lack of enough current to transmit. You either need a larger power supply or if mounted in a vehicle, you need to check your wiring for problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
It's vehicle mounted. I guess I should check the harness going in to the radio then go from there?

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
Ok. I'll check that

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It may be simply a diminishing battery. This frequently happens with ham radios when the engine is not running and you're trying to transmit on power that draws more than the battery will allow. Lowering the transmit power on the radio can solve the problem in that case.

If the engine is running and your problem occurs, you've got battery or connection problems, probably the former, At night, if your headlights dim when you transmit, you've definitely got battery problems.

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the info. It happens with the car running
I'll have to lay attention to the headlights.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thank you for the info. It happens with the car running
I'll have to lay attention to the headlights.

If it is happening with your engine running and the SWR is acceptable, then it's very likely a high resistance connection somewhere in your power feed.

Power for a mobile radio should be fed off the battery, not tying in anywhere else.
All your connections need to be tight and corrosion free. Could be you have a bad crimp connector somewhere. It doesn't hurt to put a touch of solder on those. Also, you have to pay close attention to the crimping. Some of the cheap hardware/auto part store "smash and pray" terminal crimpers do a poor job.
Check your fuse holder, too. Those can start to come apart.
All connections should be clean and shiny. If there is any corrosion, consider redoing the install, as if it's corroded in one place, it may be in others.

Grounding is important, too. Do not rely on just the negative power lead for your radio ground. I usually install all my radios with a dedicated ground connection direct from the radio chassis directly to body ground.

JMR3865

Premium Subscriber
If a radio has been added to the back or say an additional head (memory sucks), check that wiring and the possibility of anything pulled. I agree, If it turns off during transmit, It has to be a power/ground issue. If nothing has been touched since install, I'd go with power supply or maybe antenna (but I have never heard of an antenna issue turning off a radio, good feature though)

Status
Not open for further replies.