• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Serial cable interface for Base radio to GPS computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motoflightmedic

Premium Subscriber
Would anybody have any idea where to find ready made cables or pinouts, schematics for rolling my own?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Do you have the gps model in the radio or you using it to decode? If decode, set com 1 to gps data and use a regular db25 to 9 rs232.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Motoflightmedic

Premium Subscriber
It will be used to decode the data and send it out to the server.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Then a regular 232 to 9 pin cable will work. Nothing special. Just change com1 to gps/data

Motoflightmedic

Premium Subscriber
Do you happen to know what I would need to get to connect to a nx-720?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Do you happen to know what I would need to get to connect to a nx-720?

That's a db15 plug, you will need a special cable for that. There is not part number listed for that.

Motoflightmedic

Premium Subscriber
I did some research, will I still need to do the chip resistor changes with this special cable you speak of?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Have not seen that information, I use the nx700/800 for gps stuff, easier to deal with.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
KCT-60 is a DB-15 to 15 pin Molex connector they sell. Not sure it'll do anything for you. Easier to just purchase a DB-15 connector and roll your own.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The bigger issue may be the GPS receiver. There are virtually no GPS receivers marketed to regular consumers these days that have RS-232 serial ports. There are some marine GPS receivers have have RS-232 and there are also "puck style" GPS receivers (no screen or user interface) that have RS-232.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Kenwood still sells GPS receivers for their older (non-G model) and other radios.
GPS15XL-W, a Garmin internal receiver board lists for $130.25

Most of their newer radios simply have a GPS receiver built in with an antenna jack on the back.

Motoflightmedic

Premium Subscriber
The bigger issue may be the GPS receiver. There are virtually no GPS receivers marketed to regular consumers these days that have RS-232 serial ports. There are some marine GPS receivers have have RS-232 and there are also "puck style" GPS receivers (no screen or user interface) that have RS-232.

I am not trying to interface to a GPS receiver, just to the computer that feeds the sent GPS data to the server.

Are you using the KAS-10 or 20 program to show where you assets are at? I just use the KPG-46U cable from the radio to computer for this and it works fine for our set up.

AD0TY

If you're using an NX-700/800 for a base for KAS-10 you have to have the gps board installed or it won't work. If using an NX-720/820 you can build a cable. DB15 pins 6(TXD), 7(RXD), 8(RTS), 9(CTS), 15(GND).

If you're using KAS-20, you can't use an NX-700/800 or NX-720/820 you have to use an NXR-710/810, and if you can get it to work, please let me know how. I have Kenwood tech support scratching their heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.