• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-730/830 remote mount not powering on

Status
Not open for further replies.

OFD-14-109

Hello all I have acquired a tk-730/830 dual band radio, I have no experience working with kenwood radios but do have experience with the big M’s. I can not get the radio to turn on when I press the power on the KCH-4 remote head I get no response from either radio. I have the radios connected to my 12V power supply in order to program them before installation any help or hints would be appreciated I have included some pics of how I have the system connected.

Attachments

• 22B4ED00-AF75-4BE8-A362-A4AFB1ED4AEA.jpg
    22B4ED00-AF75-4BE8-A362-A4AFB1ED4AEA.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 210
  • 842E01EC-E0DA-473B-B808-D54FE786F7D8.jpg
    842E01EC-E0DA-473B-B808-D54FE786F7D8.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 155
  • 611436E3-4C10-43BC-8B36-C2BAF90AD66D.jpg
    611436E3-4C10-43BC-8B36-C2BAF90AD66D.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 167
Perhaps they are programmed to ignition sense. Meaning the control head may have to see 12v before the radios will turn on. This is used a lot in public safety vehicles for the radio(s) to turn on or off with the key rather than a push of a button. Google the service manual for the pinout on the radio and see if that helps your radios turn on.

OFD-14-109

I have looked at the radios the TK-730 has the mod for the ignition sense done to it the 830 does not. I have power going to the black wire on the 15pin connector and it still will not power on. Is it possible that it needs 12v supplied to the control head accessory connector as well as the radio 15 pin connector. I had to move the black wire in that 15pin connector as it was originally in hole #5 which is the mic input/output could that have something to do with it?

AD0TY

Make sure the ground wires are connected on the head and both decks. We've had some 730s and 790s do weird stuff when the ground breaks off or comes loose.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I don't have service manuals for those, but it's very common for their to be a fuse on the inside of the radio soon after the power enters it. It can commonly be a "pico fuse" that will look like a green resistor. Could be at one point someone hooked it up backwards, popped the fuse and just sold it rather than fixing it.

OFD-14-109

Thank you all for the info by chance does anyone have a pinout for the control head because I have no ground wire for the control head. I reviewed from a person that bought a government lot auction so I may not have all required wire harnesses and I am completely new to kenwood radios. I have looked at the service manual and perhaps I overlooked to control head accessory port pinout. Thanks again!

OFD-14-109

Ok so figured out the powering on issue, radio was modded for ignition sense at the control head not the RF deck. Radio powers up now I have a couple more questions with the ignition sense mod done can you not over-ride it and turn the radio off with power button on the control head? Also could you explain to me what the two mods I have circle in the picture are? I have been trying to search the internet for the dual band mods to see if they are part of that but I'm suspecting it is not as the wires are coming from the 15 pin accessory connector. Last does anyone have the mollex connector psrt number for the 6 pin port on the back of the control head?

Attachments

• 20171109_060713515_iOS.jpg
    20171109_060713515_iOS.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 100
Status
Not open for further replies.