• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Multisite cat c network questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillmobile

I have a few questions as we start the slow move from mpt1327 to NXDN cat C but the first question is here.

If i have one lan across several towers all on the same subnet can the sites talk to each other and work for example site 1 is 172.16.101.1 site 2 is 172.16.102.1 or do the sites have to be all vpn to each site even though its one big lan.

Meaning the main repeater ip address at each radio site if thats how it works, i need to read the system manual another ten times yet.

hope that makes sense, the system manual i have a copy of mentions routers everywhere.

More questions to come once i figure this bit out, dont actually have the equipment yet.

Phill UK

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I know what you mean. That part of the manual I think is pretty poorly written. I think it was primarily written for radio guys with zero network understanding and is based off the most common design, basically buying an internet connection for each individual radio site. Most radio guys now have a fair amount of network knowledge, so I really do think it's time Kenwood rewrites that section.

I don't know for sure, but I'm running a 5 channel trunked system. As part of the trunked system, all 5 are connected to a single switch. They all talk amongst each other over the LAN. No VPN involved.

I'm probably going to be adding a second site, and like you, I've got a common LAN across all our sites.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Greetings,
With the NXDN Type C trunking, you are good to go as long as you have the 172.16.x.x can talk between the 2 sites.

IF you have a different IP (WAN) at these sites and they are not already VPN, it will not work.

(example)
You do not have to VPN a class B if you already have a lan between them on the same network.
172.16.1.1 - 1.5 <- Site 1 repeaters 1 through 5
172.16.2.1 - 2.5 <- Site 2 repeaters 1 through 5
x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,
172.16.1.48 - 48.5 <- Site 48 repeaters 1 through 5

Same goes with the NXR-810 with KTI-3's, (though 15 is the max sites), you can LAN the sites, and all can IP back to each other, your good to go.

I work a now 40 site system here in Florida (FleetTalk)

bdbrennan

Thanks guys, will keep you updated as i go on
A single subnet can work, but you really need routers at each site to do it right. Splitting each site into its own broadcast domain is the proper way to build any site, especially with type-C trunking.

I would also call the Kenwood guys in the UK and ask for advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.