• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-190 End of Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
It hasn't been released on the dealer site yet, but my sales rep for Kenwood informed me that Kenwood is EOL'ing the TK-190 low band portables.

If you have any customers still using low band, let them know that there is one less option for HTs.

w6hp

Premium Subscriber
Good radio and hate to see it go. Always wished it had the channel capacity of the 290 and 390's.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The TK-290 and TK-190 were EOL'd back in 2016, so not surprising.

Will be interesting to see if they roll out a replacement. Not many big players in the low band world anymore.

K2NEC

Will be interesting to see if they roll out a replacement. Not many big players in the low band world anymore.
Yea for some weird reason our fire department uses low band even though it was proven unreliable.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yea for some weird reason our fire department uses low band even though it was proven unreliable.

Some people just love a challenge.

I know there is a VHF Low band version of the NX-5000 mobile coming out. Hadn't heard anything about a low band portable, but it makes me wonder if there is something in the works. Kenwood has a good market share with low band mobiles. Not sure who is making decent low band portables any more, or if there really is a market for them.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
According to Basset, which wouldn't necessarily know all the details, sales were very low and there was no replacement in sight.

We're trying to decide whether to stock a few as we have a few customers with low band systems and low band repeaters who have no intent to move bands due to terrain and who have been forced into Kenwood from the Waris being discontinued.

RK3AAG

Low Band is dying fast and most of verndors will discontinue LB radios or already did it. This is word-wide tendency not only US.

RK3AAG

Actually it's not.
Actually, YES. Can you name your sources? I am close to dealers and distributors in NA, EMEA and AZ regions (3 regions from 4 possible). I am involved in LMR word-wide business for many many years. There is no Vertex anymore, there are no Motorola LB radios anymore (both Waris and PM was cancelled). Kenwood has cancelled their 190 series. JVCK new and coming NX5000 LB radios intended to replace outdated TK-690 where they are remains. But there are no new clients for LB. Because most new frequency assignments are issued in the V/U/7-800 bands. Or even UHF LTE! What Low Band are you talking about? Where? US countryside is growing or what? Just some old hardware replacements, what is not market grow. Actually it is market fall.

Only mil users are still there, but they are using Harris and other NATO hardware.

You're only person who disagree. Probably due to lack of information. Sorry, it's sad, but true.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Actually, YES. Can you name your sources? I am close to dealers and distributors in NA, EMEA and AZ regions (3 regions from 4 possible). I am involved in LMR word-wide business for many many years.

You're only person who disagree. Probably due to lack of information. Sorry, it's sad, but true.

I am close to dealers as well and can tell you that low band is still alive and well at least in Canada.

It's the only band that covers the vast distances without needing a lot of infrastructure.

RK3AAG

I am close to dealers as well and can tell you that low band is still alive and well at least in Canada.

It's the only band that covers the vast distances without needing a lot of infrastructure.
You're mixing things. I am talking about LB market fall. Can you proof that it's grows or stays unchanged? A few networks existence proofs nothing. I recommend you to read more attentively and respond if you're only well informed. Now you don't have the necessary information. There is practically no equipment left on the market, and you say that the market is the same. Talk with a few LMR distributors/re-sellers and they will change your opinion easily and fast.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I recommend you to read more attentively and respond if you're only well informed. Now you don't have the necessary information.

Wow, you're quite abrasive aren't you?

I recommend you refrain from telling people when they can and cannot respond.

Perhaps I should be telling you to not respond until you have a better grasp of the English language?

No response to this is necessary unless you have something on-topic to add.

I'm done.

k9wkj

i have a question
what was the cause of the decline of lowband?

was it the manufactures sales folks running about telling folks how much better highband/uhf is?

or did they out right lie and say that there would not be any narrow band Low band radios
so everybody had to buy new radios and licences ?

i still see ALOT of issued licences in the database and quite a bit of activity up and down the band

i was thinking of getting a allocation myself just to give all those almost free 42mhz radios something to do

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
i have a question
what was the cause of the decline of lowband?

A book could easily be written on that. It's not that manufacturers stopped building the equipment, though, it's the market changed.

was it the manufactures sales folks running about telling folks how much better highband/uhf is?

Maybe. More predictable coverage, more efficient hand held radios, small antennas, etc. Salesmen are always going to try and separate customers from their money, at any and all means possible.

or did they out right lie and say that there would not be any narrow band Low band radios
so everybody had to buy new radios and licences ?

Low band was not impacted by narrow banding. However, that wouldn't have stopped some sales guys from telling customers that. I don't think there was any big change as a result of narrow banding related to low band use. Decline has been happening for a while, well before 2013.

i still see ALOT of issued licences in the database and quite a bit of activity up and down the band

It is still in use, that's for sure.
A couple of things, though:
-A valid license doesn't mean it's still in use. Sometimes licenses get renewed by admin people who have no idea what they are doing. They just pay it every 10 years.
-Sometimes agencies will hang on to old frequencies, "just in case". Sometimes the guys who run the systems forget to tell the people that renew the licenses to stop.
-The other issue is that hobbyists often will say the band is dead, when in reality they are trying to use unsuitable antennas and therefore not hearing anything. Most stock scanner antennas have abysmal performance on low band. It really requires a dedicated antenna to work well.

i was thinking of getting a allocation myself just to give all those almost free 42mhz radios something to do

I've considered it too, however I don't really have a need at this time. There are some low band itinerant channels.
Also, many of these radios can easily be stretched up to 6 meters pretty easily.

k9wkj

Low band was not impacted by narrow bandind

ohh i know that, but i think it was a full on scare campaign to separate the money from everybody

-A valid license doesn't mean it's still in use. Sometimes licenses get renewed by admin people who have no idea what they are doing. They just pay it every 10 years.
thats good ! it shows the frequencies are being used and generate revenue

-Sometimes agencies will hang on to old frequencies, "just in case".
my eyes have learned to see folded monopoles from a great distance

I've considered it too,
Also, many of these radios can easily be stretched up to 6 meters pretty easily.
i was thinking of the stacks of 36-42Mhz maxtacs and such that cant be stretched anywhere

i run a Maratrac in the van on 6m and have a few 42-50Mhz Maxtracs all refirmwared (is that a new term?) and tuned up on 6m
and yes i do own one of the obligatory TK-6110s (one of those Kenwood CBs in a bin at auction for $7)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
ohh i know that, but i think it was a full on scare campaign to separate the money from everybody

Yeah, narrow banding as well as 800MHz rebanding was used by some as a scare/sales tactic. A lot of people probably ended up buying radios they didn't need.

I had people tell me that we'd have to abandon our VHF pairs and move to 700MHz. I had people tell me I "Had to switch to P25" and a bunch of others.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Public safety/government licensees don’t pay anything to renew so why not just keep renewing? There is no incentive to drop a license that isn’t being used.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Good point, you are correct.

It's up to the individuals to remain honest about use. I've done my best to make sure any unused licenses get cancelled. That frees them up for others to use and can be important in some congested areas.

On the other hand, there was one simplex frequency we let sit idle for a bit too long. A local fire department found it, realized it was not being used, got the coordinator to assign it to them, and licensed it out from under us. I still had a "valid" license, but I could no longer use it without interfering with them.

Simply renewing the license doesn't guarantee you get to keep it all to yourself. Letting them sit unused isn't always safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.