RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum

Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum - For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood or EF Johnson. For discussion of Kenwood Amateur Radio Equipment, please use the Amateur Radio Equipment forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2018, 10:41 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile Reverse Burst Squelch Tail Eliminator, Kenwood TK 7180 H

Hello,

I am needing some insight into the positive and negative phase of reverse burst. I am given privileges on a family members coordinated frequencies and this person uses reverse burst of 120 degrees. My Kenwood TK 7180 H has options of 180 degress + plus reverse burst, 120 degrees + plus reverse burst, and 120 degrees- minus of reverse burst for options. Traditionally, on my other radios, I have encountered only either 180 or 120, not the plus or minus. So my question is this: if I have a 180 plus and a 120 plus, then what is the 120 minus on the reverse burst. One of these is the odd one out and I have never encountered that. Is there anyone that can shed some light on this? Thanks.

All input is appreciated.
Sponsored links
Old 01-22-2018, 11:23 AM

I'll take a stab at it, Mot has always been 180 deg out of phase going back to the PL reed times and with a reverse phase relay and short PTT hang time that would make the PL tone 180 deg out of phase to stop the reed from vibrating resulting in that nice quiet end of transmission. That was considered a plus for buying a Mot radio as most other manufacturers didn't do that. I believe Kenwood and Icom use a non standard out of phase end of transmit so that only Kenwood and Icom radios used would give that quiet transition with each other, while making the Mot radio give you a squelch burst at the end. It should not interfere with operation of the radio using a mixture of Kenwood, Icom and Mot radio, you will just get a squelch burst at the end if they are not all the same. I think Kenwood has a selection of turn off phases because a contract put to bid some time ago said they must work with Mot radios without the squelch burst. Your selection of PL burst may have been decided by the vendor of your families radios to entice them to stay with whatever brand they sold.

Another note is that Icom and I am not sure about Kemwood don't even have a turn off code (138hz) for DPL resulting in that same squelch burst if used with a Mot radio. One of reasons to stay away from 136.5 and 141.3 Pl codes.
Old 02-01-2018, 8:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Where in the Kenwood KPG89D software do you find the reverse burst options, I'm not finding it. Thanks in advance, Bob
Old 06-18-2018, 7:43 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruch View Post
Where in the Kenwood KPG89D software do you find the reverse burst options, I'm not finding it. Thanks in advance, Bob
I cannot find the reverse burst options in KPG-89D either
Old 06-18-2018, 10:15 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

When you are installing the software, you have to put in the engineer serial number. That will open up the options for reverse burst.
Sponsored links
Old 06-19-2018, 1:28 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcdjcliving4god View Post
When you are installing the software, you have to put in the engineer serial number. That will open up the options for reverse burst.
Installed with the engineer serial and found the reverse burst settings, thanks.

Tags
ctcss, kenwood tk 7180h, pl phasing, reverse burst, squelch tail eliminator