• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK-8160 programming problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpman

I'm trying to program a TK-8160 with the proper cable and KPG-99D software. COM port is set up. When I try to read the Transceiver Information I get a message saying Check Model & Market number and COM port. When it's trying to read the display on the radio says "PROGRAM". I believe this means the radio really IS talking to the computer, other wise it wouldn't switch to PC Mode.

I do have the proper model selected but either trying to read the radio or write to it I keep getting the same message to CHECK Model and Market number and COM port. Again, the COM port shouldn't be the problem because the radio is automatically switching to PC mode. I'm stumped. HELP! (please).

Alpman

I already do have the correct version (TK-8160 K UHF) selected but still no soap. Thanks for trying.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Which software version are you using? Is this an E-market or K-market radio? Model name would be 8160K or 8160E. Is the software from the internet or from a Kenwood dealer?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That sounds like a market code mismatch.
The radio market code and the software market code are not matching. The "program" on the display means they are talking.

So, provide the -full- model number, FCC ID (if it has one), etc. for the radio.

KPG-99D is the correct software for the US market TK-x160 radios.

Alpman

KPG-99D version 1.55.
K market radio
Software is an official Kenwood Communications disk purchased on the internet.

Alpman

The Model/Product Information pulldown menu lists TK-8160 (UHF) K and TK-8160 (UHF) M. Even though I know the radio is a K I've tried both settings with the same results. :-(

westcoaster

I can't recall the exact error I received but had a similar error when I corrected the model information on the used TK-7180H I had bought.

Radio was a TK-7180H but was loaded with the model information for a TK-7180 (non H)
I selected TK-7180H as the model, accepted the over write message, went to load on the radio, received the code mis match message but had the ability to continue and load the program.

Perhaps you have an TK-8160H model loaded on your radio where it should be just TK-8160?

Alpman

I don't think I can tell the firmware version since the KPG-99D software can't read from the radio. Catch 22.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
For giggles, when you installed the software did the software install key have the letter ‘K’ as the 4th digit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westcoaster

If enabled in programming.
with the radio off, press and hold the red triangle.
Turn the radio on while holding the red triangle.

Keep holding the red triangle, the display should show you the firmware version.

Release the red triangle and the radio should continue to boot.

Alpman

Thanks, westcoaster. I was able to get the firmware version: K 1.12.00. I'm telling it it's a K version but it still gives me an error: "check model name and market code."

I'm totally stumped. Tried different cables (even though the radio displays "Program" when I try to unsuccessfully read or write so it shouldn't be the cable. Tried different programming software versions. Same result.

Any more suggestions - I'm desperate !!!!

ohiohonda

I have had quite a few front board failures on this model and ran into the same problems that you are having. Not sure which component is failing on the board but it causes a issue with talking to the radio with the computer. It does act like it is going to program because the lcd on the radio switches the display to PROGRAM but never allows any data to pass. As far as I know the front board is no longer available from Kenwood. Hope this is not what happened to yours but sounds like you have covered testing everything on the software/cable side.

westcoaster

Thanks, westcoaster. I was able to get the firmware version: K 1.12.00. I'm telling it it's a K version but it still gives me an error: "check model name and market code."

I'm totally stumped. Tried different cables (even though the radio displays "Program" when I try to unsuccessfully read or write so it shouldn't be the cable. Tried different programming software versions. Same result.

Any more suggestions - I'm desperate !!!!

Try another radio? (to test cable and software)

If the other radio reads and writes just fine you know you have an issue with your radio.
If the other radio has a similar error you know your software/cable is bad...

Ok, perhaps easier said than done but maybe someone with a similar radio close to you would be willing for a meetup in a public place...

westcoaster

I'll toss this up here for giggles... Maybe something will stick with someone....

I had a TK-760H (or 762H) I couldn't program.

The TK-760H wouldn't go into programming mode at all. I knew my cables and software were correct as I had tried them in other radios. I posted up here and it was mentioned there was a resistor that would burn out in the front panel (maybe something to do with a desk mic) that would prevent reading and writing to the radio.
I replaced the resistor and was able to program the radio. It was the +5V out to the microphone? (that also powered the programming cable)

Different radio, different symptoms....

cmdrwill

I replaced the resistor and was able to program the radio. It was the +5V out to the microphone? (that also powered the programming cable) Different radio, different symptoms....

I hate that some programming cables have to use external voltage, piss poor design.

But some programming cables get their voltage from the computer and that can be a problem on some computers where the voltages are low.

Status
Not open for further replies.