RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum

Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum - For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood or EF Johnson. For discussion of Kenwood Amateur Radio Equipment, please use the Amateur Radio Equipment forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2018, 7:34 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Question Kenwood TK-5210 Programming Cable

I'm having a problem programming my TK-5210 that I don't understand. I'm using the proper programming cable for this model radio, and yet, I can't seem to open the COMPORT. My laptop has only one USB port but the software isn't detecting any of them (it's usually COMPORT 3). I've checked - and double-checked - connections on both ends but still no open COMPORT. And yes, I have the radio turned on.

Any suggestions?

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC
WQIT636 (GMRS)
996P2/996XT/780/796/296D/396T/396XT/436/XTS2500/XTS5000/NX300/CS701
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2018, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrofire31 View Post
I'm having a problem programming my TK-5210 that I don't understand. I'm using the proper programming cable for this model radio, and yet, I can't seem to open the COMPORT. My laptop has only one USB port but the software isn't detecting any of them (it's usually COMPORT 3). I've checked - and double-checked - connections on both ends but still no open COMPORT. And yes, I have the radio turned on.

Any suggestions?

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC
WQIT636 (GMRS)
Did you install the driver for the correct platform you are using IE 32-bit or 64-bit windows? The USB cable generally pulls a comport above 8 in my experience. The driver generally isn't included in Kenwood software.
Old 02-03-2018, 7:48 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Are you using a native USB cable or a serial cable with RS232-USB adapter? A lot of the aftermarket cables use counterfeit chipsets that don't play nicely with Windows. Main reason why I tend to stick to serial cables and then a solid, known good RS232 adapter since most IT departments don't see a reason for a serial port these days...
Old 02-03-2018, 8:54 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I've had this cable (aftermarket cable with USB connector) for several years and don't recall ever installing a driver. I prefer RS232 cables also so may look to ordering one for this radio. Thanks for the tips - I appreciate you both.

Metrofire31
996P2/996XT/780/796/296D/396T/396XT/436/XTS2500/XTS5000/NX300/CS701