• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

KPG-159

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB1GEH

In the KPG-159 Software there are TK3402U & TK3402U PROTALK UHF models as well as the VHF versions of the same. Aside from the PROTALK template having pre-programmed frequencies whereas the regular TK3402U allows you to enter whatever frequency you wish, what is the difference? Could you program a "PROTALK" model using the regular TK3402U software template to enter custom frequencies?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
In the KPG-159 Software there are TK3402U & TK3402U PROTALK UHF models as well as the VHF versions of the same. Aside from the PROTALK template having pre-programmed frequencies whereas the regular TK3402U allows you to enter whatever frequency you wish, what is the difference? Could you program a "PROTALK" model using the regular TK3402U software template to enter custom frequencies?

It's been a while since I've done this, but as I recall, the answer is 'no', not the way you are suggesting.

The Protalk have a different firmware, if I recall correctly. Successfully putting the non-protalk firmware in a protalk radio is necessary. I've done it twice on two different ProTalk models, but my brain is a bit foggy on which ones it was.

It comes with risks, obviously, but I was able to make it work both times.

KB1GEH

Thanks for your reply. I am my employer's "radio person" and we use Motorola's for which I have the software in my desktop. A contractor who does work at our location on a regular basis noticing the efficiency of portables at our location then requested radios from their management for themselves to use at the various locations they work at including ours. It is because their foreman would like to be able to "talk" to us in house to co-ordinate with their Kenwood's is why I am trying to help ,but, I am not familiar with the nuances of Kenwood software. I am now wondering which PROTALK models that I was looking at. They have the TK3402-U16P which according to a website that sells these are not only user and dealer programmable, but, will also work with repeaters. The regular PROTALK with it's pre-programmed frequency chart does not appear to have this capability unless I am missing something. I am guessing that the PROTALK on the front of the radio in this case is referring to the series rather than the specific model, meaning that I could program one of our repeater pairs into their radios for site work. Can I bug you ( or anyone else) one more time?

ohiohonda

To my knowledge there is not a Protalk version of the TK-2402(VHF) / TK-3402 (UHF) model. Within my KPG-159DN software there is no option for different model types. There is however Protalk / LMR versions of the TK-2400 (VHF) / TK-3400 (UHF) models. These models take the KPG-160DN software.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks for your reply. I am my employer's "radio person" and we use Motorola's for which I have the software in my desktop. A contractor who does work at our location on a regular basis noticing the efficiency of portables at our location then requested radios from their management for themselves to use at the various locations they work at including ours. It is because their foreman would like to be able to "talk" to us in house to co-ordinate with their Kenwood's is why I am trying to help ,but, I am not familiar with the nuances of Kenwood software. I am now wondering which PROTALK models that I was looking at. They have the TK3402-U16P which according to a website that sells these are not only user and dealer programmable, but, will also work with repeaters. The regular PROTALK with it's pre-programmed frequency chart does not appear to have this capability unless I am missing something. I am guessing that the PROTALK on the front of the radio in this case is referring to the series rather than the specific model, meaning that I could program one of our repeater pairs into their radios for site work. Can I bug you ( or anyone else) one more time?

The "ProTalk" radios are sold with a predetermined set of frequencies that they have access to. You choose which pre-programmed frequencies you want to access. The frequencies are all itinerant, color dot, etc.
There is no option to program in your own frequencies on these radios.

This is a marketing thing. Basically making it so a small company can get licensed on a few itinerants and not have to worry about the complexities and costs of having to program radios. Basically/almost "ready to run" right out of the box.

There are a few different "ProTalk" models. If I had the time to research it, I'd probably have told you the same thing ohiohonda did.

To make the contractors radios work with your system would require beating new firmware into their radios. That would let -YOU- program in your frequencies, however that would make it so their radios would never be able to be programmed on the fly for their own use. They'd forever need to have the software and cable to make any changes.

The correct path is to either loan them one of your radios, or have their company order them the right type.

KB1GEH

Thanks again for the replies. At the very least even with the preprogrammed lists that appear when I select the 3402U with the "PROTALK" next to the model number, the output of the repeater I would put them on is listed. I just think it's interesting in the model dropdown menu software how the UHF and VHF 3402 models are listed both with and without the PROTALK name. That is why I wondered about being able to program the repeater splits with the non PROTALK 3402U and 2402V "K" templates that allow you to enter any frequency in the band. It was nice to converse about it anyway. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.