RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum

Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum - For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood or EF Johnson. For discussion of Kenwood Amateur Radio Equipment, please use the Amateur Radio Equipment forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2018, 11:48 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default D3N Complaints and HELP

OK now that we have that out-of-the-way this is a complaint /begging for help thread!

If there is anyone out there who might consider themselves an expert in this particular piece of Kenwood programming ... then I am all ears.

So far this is what I believe to be true of this particular piece of software:
1) absolutely SLOW
2) everything has to be duplicated first by creating a personality then you can create a channel within a zone based on the personality
3) Maneuvering around and trying to find the things that we are used to being able to find easily is 100% counter intuitive and dumb
4) I will have to manually type in every single channel in every single site because Kenwood in their infinite wisdom has decided there’s no freaking reason for us to be able to import from A previous software install like KPG-141D etc
5) And last but not least we have to pay extra for the ability to use the Kenwood technology that makes the radio worth having a.k.a. wideband for ham operators and trunking.

Anyway now that I am done ranting and raving I need some guidance with:
A) is there a way to more easily program in talk groups without having to create a personality and then create a channel was in a zone?
B) does anyone have any suggestions on the best method of creating scan lists?

Keep in mind I am going to kind of need some step-by-step instructions if you have the ability to do so and most of what I have complained about has been based on NXDN Trunking.
Sponsored links
Old 02-13-2018, 11:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Don't know about slow like D1, but I have a topic on how to import from 111 or 141. If you have LTR you have to do that manually.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2018, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrt View Post
OK now that we have that out-of-the-way this is a complaint /begging for help thread!

If there is anyone out there who might consider themselves an expert in this particular piece of Kenwood programming ... then I am all ears.

So far this is what I believe to be true of this particular piece of software:
1) absolutely SLOW
2) everything has to be duplicated first by creating a personality then you can create a channel within a zone based on the personality
3) Maneuvering around and trying to find the things that we are used to being able to find easily is 100% counter intuitive and dumb
4) I will have to manually type in every single channel in every single site because Kenwood in their infinite wisdom has decided there’s no freaking reason for us to be able to import from A previous software install like KPG-141D etc
5) And last but not least we have to pay extra for the ability to use the Kenwood technology that makes the radio worth having a.k.a. wideband for ham operators and trunking.

Anyway now that I am done ranting and raving I need some guidance with:
A) is there a way to more easily program in talk groups without having to create a personality and then create a channel was in a zone?
B) does anyone have any suggestions on the best method of creating scan lists?

Keep in mind I am going to kind of need some step-by-step instructions if you have the ability to do so and most of what I have complained about has been based on NXDN Trunking.
chadrt,
I know your frustration, I could some help in this area also.
Old 03-26-2018, 9:10 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by christocom View Post
chadrt,
I know your frustration, I could some help in this area also.
Chris, you have my email now, hit me up, I and MSSDAVE have a pretty good handle on the D3 now.
With just simple trunk system imports from 141 and 111, we can import fairly well, except for the LTR systems
We have to set that up in the radio to have it transfer over.

Now, MSSDave and myself were in the D3 class at IWCE in Orlando this year, so we gained a trick or two,
but have not applied it, as we are now 98% pure Type C trunking statewide and some conventional channels.
There are some hints and tricks to editing the 141 import (*.itm) file to make it work importing into D3.
Big thing is DO NOT EDIT THE HEADERS of the columns.

Japan Engineers where in the room and have heard the outcry on the software nonsense. THEY TOOK NOTE! trust me, they did.

We shall see what comes forward at the end of the year.