• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX-5800K

Status
Not open for further replies.

emtanwar

Hey guys! Just had a quick question, my city I work in just switched over the radio systems to a P25 digital system. I found a used Kenwood NX-5800K that I was looking to buy. The seller told me that it is NXDN/Analog capable but I’d have to purchase a P25 upgrade option for it. Just out of curiosity how does one go about purchasing the P25 upgrade and about how much would it cost?

Thanks a ton!

n9vjw

Where are you located and are you a ham operator? You can go through any Kenwood dealer for any entitlement keys. If you're a ham you'll probably be interested in the 'wide band' version of the programming software. I also have a NX5800 and love it with DMR, P25, and analog. I'll start dabbling with the NXDN very soon. Works very well and pretty easy to program.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hey guys! Just had a quick question, my city I work in just switched over the radio systems to a P25 digital system. I found a used Kenwood NX-5800K that I was looking to buy. The seller told me that it is NXDN/Analog capable but I’d have to purchase a P25 upgrade option for it. Just out of curiosity how does one go about purchasing the P25 upgrade and about how much would it cost?

Thanks a ton!

A couple of things to consider before purchasing…

-If it's a used radio, do not purchase it unless the seller guarantees that there is no password on the read, write or read/write side of the radio.
-Make sure you are getting the radio with the control head. RF decks can be purchased on their own, so make sure you know what you are getting.
-Be absolutely sure it's the right band split. The K model is 450MHz to 520MHz. The K2 model is 380MHz to 470MHz. If you are in the middle 20MHz, you are ok with either one.
-You will need to purchase your own programming software. The software has a license key that cannot be shared. You can't just download software off the internet and expect it to work. License key is $155 list price.

-The P25 Conventional License Key is $575 list.
-The P25 Phase 1 Trunking license key is $520 list and you have to have the P25 conventional license.
-The P25 Phase 2 Trunking license key is $400 list, and you have to have BOTH the above license keys.

If your city is running a trunked system, there will be access controls. That will mean that your radio will need to be assigned an ID by the system administrator and permitted to access the system. Without that, you will not be able to access the trunked system. You will also need a Kenwood system key for that trunked system to program your radio ($208 list) and that key would need to be activated by the system administrator.

Also, under the FCC rules (specifically 90.427) you are not authorized to add radios to a system you are not licensed for. As an employee, you are not allowed to add radios to the system unless granted that authority by the person/agency who has their name on the license.

If they are running encryption, you are out of luck unless the system administrator will put the key in your radio. Depending on the encryption mode, that is an additional cost item.

I know, sounds like I'm being a pain. But it's important to understand all the costs, requirements and rules. Often people will buy a radio and assume it'll do what they want. Newer digital systems make that almost always unlikely.

It's also why we very often suggest that just buying a scanner and listening is a much better/cheaper idea.

If your employer wants you to have a radio, they should buy/install/program one for you.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
While we are on the different splits for the 5800, will the K model play nice down to 440 MHz without any degradation or firmware hacks with factory software ? A few agencies that need monitoring are in the 470 plus area all the way up to 502 MHz and listening occurs more than talking. My TK-5820 played well to about 441.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.