RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum

Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum - For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood or EF Johnson. For discussion of Kenwood Amateur Radio Equipment, please use the Amateur Radio Equipment forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2018, 3:37 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default KMC-9 Mic Gain?

Hello all,

Does anyone know if there is any way to adjust the mic gain on a Kenwood KMC-9 (or 9C) microphone? For years I've been using Motorola products but jumped ship some time ago. I know the Motorola desk mics have a pot in the back of them which you can rotate to adjust the mic gain, but I don't see any for this model microphone? I've tore microphone apart and don't see a pot anywhere to adjust it. Am I overlooking something, or does the KMC-9 series microphone not have an adjustable microphone gain pot? My intended setup has the microphone sitting on a desk, pushed back a bit and out of the way, yet still in fingers reach to trigger the PTT, but field units are advising the audio sounds pretty low (and no one wants to keep adjusting their volume back and forth all day). The audio clarity isn't great until you are holding the desk mic in your hand talking directly into the mic element / outside grille, which defeats the whole purpose of the desk mic in this current setup.

So, in short, is there any way to adjust the microphone gain level on this desktop microphone, similar to the Motorola's or not?

Thanks,
Nick
Sponsored links
Old 05-18-2018, 6:57 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Nope, no internal adjustment in a KMC-9. For mic adjustments you'll need go to the settings in the radio software. What you can twiddle with depends on the model radio.
Old 05-18-2018, 8:37 AM

The KMC-9 is an electret with preamp, and apparently is an option for my TK-810 that I don't have. The TK-810 has a pot inside that adjusts microphone gain, VR1 on the TX-RX board just before the main microphone amplifier.
Old 05-18-2018, 1:04 PM

And, if your arm was longer you would even be even 'weaker'.