• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help needed NX800 firmware updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizz5500

I recently purchased an older Kenwood nx800 mobile. I already own the KPG111D software and programming cable. The radio has older firmware, only 2.81.00.

Can anyone provide the necessary file to add to my existing software to upgrade to the latest firmware in my nx800 Kenwood radio. Not sure what's needed or how this procedure actually works. Any help with this firmware update would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. I appreciate all responses.

Frank N2DCS...
n2dcs@arrl.net

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I recently purchased an older Kenwood nx800 mobile. I already own the KPG111D software and programming cable. The radio has older firmware, only 2.81.00.

Can anyone provide the necessary file to add to my existing software to upgrade to the latest firmware in my nx800 Kenwood radio. Not sure what's needed or how this procedure actually works. Any help with this firmware update would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. I appreciate all responses.

Frank N2DCS...

n2dcs@arrl.net

Honestly, if the radio works, and you don’t need features or fixes from newer firmware, there really is not any reason to bump it.

Depending how new you go, you will need newer programming software to program the radio, and you may get locked into 2.5KHz deviation(99% or ham repeaters are 5.0KHz deviation)

If it’s working don’t mess with it. I have a NX200 and NX700 that I am using KPG-111D Ver. 4.70 non narrowband software with, and I will never update the firmware or software past this as 99.99% of the frequencies I use(ham and LMR) are wide band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I agree. Unless there is a specific issue you are trying to remedy, leave the firmware where it's at.

Newer firmware for those radios will force them to narrow band across the spectrum. That's a problem if you want to use it for amateur or GMRS. Kenwood will happily sell you a W-license to reopen the 5kHz deviation option again. About $75, and it's keyed to the software serial number. Oh, and you'd need to update your KPG-111 software to the latest version to match the firmware.

Most of the changes that happened in later firmware versions were aimed at NexEdge trunking and the required narrow banding that happened in 2013.

If you do have a specific issue you need to fix, let us know what it is, maybe there's another way around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.