RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum


Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum - For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood or EF Johnson. For discussion of Kenwood Amateur Radio Equipment, please use the Amateur Radio Equipment forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2018, 11:10 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 35
Default Kenwood Modified DTMF Tones?

I've come across these tones before and someone had told me they were from a Kenwood base station radio that was hard wired to a repeater which is what the tone was for. But, I'm wondering what exactly the function of the tone is and why it only works certain base station consoles?

https://clyp.it/bworzxii
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2018, 11:51 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,069
Default

Fleetsync II aka 2400 baud fleetsync?



Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited by kd4efm; 07-08-2018 at 12:14 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2018, 12:06 AM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4efm View Post
Fleetsync II aka 2400 baud fleetsync



Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
That's gonna be a negative, I know what 1200 and 2400 Fleetsync sound like. It's not that.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2018, 12:14 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,069
Default

Then that would be a voting receiver tone, not sure the model, I would have to find out what agency that is. I know in NC there are some voting receiver sites still in use, to new not that noticable but there is a pilot tone when they go in on various sites the sometimes can be heard. So yeah, may not be fleetsync, but tone remote tones for voting recievers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2018, 12:18 AM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4efm View Post
Then that would be a voting receiver tone, not sure the model, I would have to find out what agency that is. I know in NC there are some voting receiver sites still in use, to new not that noticable but there is a pilot tone when they go in on various sites the sometimes can be heard. So yeah, may not be fleetsync, but tone remote tones for voting recievers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
So that's what I'm trying to figure out, what the remote tone and voting receiver stuff does and how it works.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2018, 12:50 AM
mmckenna's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: WTVLCA01DS0
Posts: 8,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnHumanReactions View Post
So that's what I'm trying to figure out, what the remote tone and voting receiver stuff does and how it works.
I see you are in Salinas. What agency are you listening to? I might be able to assist...
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2018, 1:07 AM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
I see you are in Salinas. What agency are you listening to? I might be able to assist...
I was actually in San Benito County when I heard it. I've heard it both on Hollister Police and Hollister Fire. I know the county has a contract with a Kenwood dealership, so all their radios and repeaters are Kenwood.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2018, 10:14 AM
mmckenna's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: WTVLCA01DS0
Posts: 8,861
Default

Yep, San Benito County/Hollister are all Kenwood.
They are dispatched out of NETCOM in Santa Cruz via remote.
NETCOM got new consoles a while back, and likely the interfaces are less than perfect.

You might be hearing the control tones sent over the wireline link between NETCOM and the repeaters.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2018, 10:47 AM
ramal121's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sonoma, CA
Posts: 1,566
Default

Sounds to me like the CPI multi channel remote products. They use a proprietary dual tone signalling system to control the radio. In as such there is no hold tone as you would have in a regular tone remote to keep the radio in transmit. Instead there is tone burst to assert PTT to the radio and another one to drop it at the end of transmission. That is what you are hearing at the very end.

Can't say it is truly a CPI setup, but sure sounds like it. They are fine for a desktop remote but I'm a little skeptical on using it for a dispatch situation as they are not that robust for fast paced traffic.

Last edited by ramal121; 07-08-2018 at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2018, 5:49 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 35
Default

Here's another sample

https://clyp.it/ox42ze4e
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2018, 5:56 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
Yep, San Benito County/Hollister are all Kenwood.
They are dispatched out of NETCOM in Santa Cruz via remote.
NETCOM got new consoles a while back, and likely the interfaces are less than perfect.

You might be hearing the control tones sent over the wireline link between NETCOM and the repeaters.
Speaking of Santa Cruz, do you happen to know what kind of radios Santa Cruz County Sheriff are using? I was listening the other day and they all have MDC-1200 ID on their mobiles and handhelds.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2018, 6:26 PM
mmckenna's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: WTVLCA01DS0
Posts: 8,861
Default

I believe the SO is still using XTS portables and XTL mobiles. Last time I was in their shop, that's what I saw.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2018, 7:12 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
I believe the SO is still using XTS portables and XTL mobiles. Last time I was in their shop, that's what I saw.
XTS 3000's?
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2018, 11:40 PM
mmckenna's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: WTVLCA01DS0
Posts: 8,861
Default

I don't recall. I believe they were XTS-2500's.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2018, 11:43 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnHumanReactions View Post
Here's another sample

https://clyp.it/ox42ze4e
The tone(s) your hearing at the end of the transmissions is part of the control tones from the special CPI remotes that control many functions of their NX-700 base radios they use at the fire stations in hollister, hollister pd should have them and sheriffs too.

The remotes:
https://www.tessco.com/products/disp....do?sku=454897
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2018, 11:24 AM
Member
   
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnHumanReactions View Post
Speaking of Santa Cruz, do you happen to know what kind of radios Santa Cruz County Sheriff are using? I was listening the other day and they all have MDC-1200 ID on their mobiles and handhelds.
Since the area uses kenwoods, do they mute the mdc on the motorolas? I've noticed areas who use kenwood tend to leave mdc unmuted on any muting capable radio.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2018, 12:15 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosRio View Post
Since the area uses kenwoods, do they mute the mdc on the motorolas? I've noticed areas who use kenwood tend to leave mdc unmuted on any muting capable radio.
Yes, they leave the MDC unmuted. None of the radios are programmed for Data Operated Squelch.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2018, 12:16 PM
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6uyz View Post
The tone(s) your hearing at the end of the transmissions is part of the control tones from the special CPI remotes that control many functions of their NX-700 base radios they use at the fire stations in hollister, hollister pd should have them and sheriffs too.

The remotes:
https://www.tessco.com/products/disp....do?sku=454897
Ah, I see, so when they want to key up the repeater, they just pick up the phone and talk into it?
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2018, 1:16 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnHumanReactions View Post
Ah, I see, so when they want to key up the repeater, they just pick up the phone and talk into it?
The radio remote keys up a base station radio which is just a mobile radio with an interface which allows them to talk on the repeater. The remotes allow them to change channels on the radio to select different repeaters.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions