• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help with some noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

aschenavar

Hi all, I just installed my TK-790H setup in my new truck, 2013 F-150. Transferred the setup from an 08 Wrangler and had zero issues on that vehicle. Today I was told while on a repeater channel that I have what sounds to be wind noise while TX and an occasional drop off, and a small amount of static on RX. I have the power ran to battery, fused approx 6" off the battery, grounded to a rear seat bolt, antenna is mounted in the roof. I wasn't feeling real confident with this ground and I'm really wondering if that could be the issue. The only thing I have done differently between the vehicles is switch from a 5/8w to a 1/4w antenna.

I plan to change the ground out when I get off work but it's racking my brain in the mean time. Thanks!

Guillaumet

Hi all, I just installed my TK-790H setup in my new truck, 2013 F-150. Transferred the setup from an 08 Wrangler and had zero issues on that vehicle. Today I was told while on a repeater channel that I have what sounds to be wind noise while TX and an occasional drop off, and a small amount of static on RX. I have the power ran to battery, fused approx 6" off the battery, grounded to a rear seat bolt, antenna is mounted in the roof. I wasn't feeling real confident with this ground and I'm really wondering if that could be the issue. The only thing I have done differently between the vehicles is switch from a 5/8w to a 1/4w antenna.

I plan to change the ground out when I get off work but it's racking my brain in the mean time. Thanks!

This emission noise problem suggests a ground fault of the coaxial cable. This could disturb the transmitter or the microphone.

check if the coaxial braid ground is well connected to the BNC and antenna.
check if the coaxial is pinched somewhere.

A short circuit from time to time in the coax or BNC could explain the melting of the fuse : very high current in the transmitter.

Other possibility : insufficient metallic surface for the antenna, or antenna mounted on a fiberglass roof :)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Today I was told while on a repeater channel that I have what sounds to be wind noise while TX and an occasional drop off, and a small amount of static on RX.

Where is the antenna mounted on the truck?

I've experienced radios doing this, and it often came down to the antenna making poor contact with the antenna mount.

Try this:
With the antenna screwed down all the way, hold the top of the whip and try moving it up and down. If it will move, then it's likely not making good contact with the center button of the NMO mount. I've found that some taller NMO antenna nuts and shallower NMO bases will allow this to happen.
You might need to try a different 1/4 wave antenna if this is what's happening.

If you don't feel confident in the radio ground, make sure you address that, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.