• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK-3180 UPG ERROR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakethesnake209

Premium Subscriber
I tried giving my tk-3180 a firmware upgrade and when you turn the radio on it just says upg error. Is there a fix to this i cant get it off this screen?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
What cable, what speed, and does it give it in the middle of the upgrade?
What firmware version are you pushing?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jakethesnake209

Premium Subscriber
Im using a cable from my fire department we bought. Im at 115.200bps and it wont even let me try to upgrade anymore. It says its v335 for the tk-3180

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Im using a cable from my fire department we bought. Im at 115.200bps and it wont even let me try to upgrade anymore. It says its v335 for the tk-3180

V3.35? Cant be. Unless your radios are MPT, then your shoving the wrong firware.

Tk2180K_7180K_V122_035C should be this.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Are you putting it into firmware programming mode? If so, start the process over from the beginning.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Use the right firmware and reload it. If it wont take, needs to go to depot. Its bricked.

Jakethesnake209

Premium Subscriber
Okay so the radio wont let me put it in firmware programming mode? Did I completely mess the radio up??

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Let me ask a very important question

Are you using anything other than a windows PC? Mac, parallels, a virtual machine, anything not native windows?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I dont have my 3180 anymore but you should be able to press and hold the A button and power on for firmware mode. That or a side button. I fogot, but it should come up and say Prog 115,200

Jakethesnake209

Premium Subscriber
Yeah its actually the S button but its not letting me do that anymore. So at this point I'm not sure what to do.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Send it to your local kenwood dealer for depot repair.

phillmobile

upg error means your putting the wrong firmware in, for example if i add mpt1327 firmware to a radio that does not have a license in it, nothing to do with speeds or cables (in my experience)

You might have a k model putting e version firmware in for example
more info may assist
phill, uk.

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
Look at the flashprom details from the manufacturers (should be Amtel IIRC) but you should be able to short pins 23, or 24 to ground or maybe both (it has been a few years, please check the speck sheet) and that will allow you to program in the firmware with Fpro as long as the flashprom is good. I have used this method several times to get past errors or PassPort firmware. You normally don't have to go this far for just the MPT firmware, that will overwrite with FPU. Worst case is you replace the falshprom and start from scratch, but could be a few hours with a service monitor.

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
OK, I took a look at my notes, you will want to short pins 23 and 25 to ground on IC500 (AT29C040A-90TI) on the main TX/RX board. Then power the radio on and FPRO should work.

Jim

blong722

tk-2180 reset

OK, I took a look at my notes, you will want to short pins 23 and 25 to ground on IC500 (AT29C040A-90TI) on the main TX/RX board. Then power the radio on and FPRO should work.

Jim

do you happen to have a picture or some other reference on how to do this reset, i have also flashed the wrong firmware to my radio and have gotten the error and it will not allow me to go back and reflash the correct firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.