RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum

Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum - For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood or EF Johnson. For discussion of Kenwood Amateur Radio Equipment, please use the Amateur Radio Equipment forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2018, 4:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS2000des View Post
Armada is a superior platform. Kenwood needs to port this over to the NX series. I have a VP5430 and Armada is a BREEZE compared to KPG-D1NK. None of this B.S. of licensing either. Even APX CPS (currently) does not require you to license it to a machine. What if you're at a remote site and need to load it quickly to touch a batch of radios, you know, like at the scene of wiildfire where you might not have WAN available to download anything?

The NX platform is a great product, it needs ARMADA. Seriously. Kenwood bought EF Johnson for a reason. Don't be like those guys and waste the great stuff they have. The template/codeplug concept is the BEST THING EVER for radio programming/management. Hello Kenwood,you already have your solution...
Keep in mind, EFJ does only p25, smartzone, smartnet, and no NXDN or DMR.

And pricing, I'm actually glad to see a build your own radio for a change, want dmr, add it when you are ready, now or later. Want p25, buy it now, or later.
Adds value to the radio, in my words.

If your headed to a mass incident scene, would you think taking a laptop with it activated/installed (any software) already would be a easier idea then showing up unprepared?
Mistakes happen, sure, but that's one I don't want to do a write up about.
( in California, Verizon cut data speeds on first responders, never plan on wifi, cellular, or otherwise unless it is known to be functional)

And I have played with apx cps, talk about B.S. on trying to program with that..... scan is a PITA to get to work if you have 1 setting out of place, and it does not tell you where the mistake is, radio just goes bonk, when you push the scan button.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 09-02-2018, 6:55 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4efm View Post
True, but no reason EFJ could not revamp Armada to support this. Armada has to be some of the best radio programming software (at least for P25/conventional) EVER.

Quote:
And pricing, I'm actually glad to see a build your own radio for a change, want dmr, add it when you are ready, now or later. Want p25, buy it now, or later.
Without mutliband support, it has limited value in areas like mine where 700/800 is king and everything else DMR/NXDN is V/U. I'd love to see a VHF/7/8 portable on this platform. A metric TON could be sold around here.
Quote:
If your headed to a mass incident scene, would you think taking a laptop with it activated/installed (any software) already would be a easier idea then showing up unprepared?
But you never know what machine you might have to take. At my agency, we have a dozen or so Getec B300s shared by the technical team. I am heavy on the CAD side so my image doesn't get updated as much as the radio techs do. Never know when I might be called in, and don't have time to spend to log onto a network to authorize software. And our SO and PD sometimes loan us workstations that would have no reason to have any radio software on, but the way we operate today, a thumb drive is all it takes (and local admin rights) to install what is needed to get up and running.
Old 09-02-2018, 7:59 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

EFJ was bought out by Kenwood if you did not know. That is how Kenwood got in the Trunking business with the TK5200 series.
Old 09-02-2018, 8:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Volume discounts are available for the software.

To each is their own thou.

As for a multi band multi mode, go back in the nx5000 chats and you will find where I tried for a year to have one made.
They said, we will look into it, and that's all I got for a final word. Yes, Japan is looking into now, but profitably is what they need to crunch numbers on. Right now, if only 1000 units would ever be sold for a select core of users, can you justify 1000 units, or would you justify 1 million units.

Motorola mentality is like Harley Davidson, they have a radio, so sell them a new mouse trap, end of life 5 year old tech, and get a new one at full value, no trade in.
Xpr6550 is what now? Still an xpr just new model name and number, nothing changed.....

(Soap box off)

I have been for the last 6 years asking for a multi mode multi band portable ever since nx5000 hit the market. All I can do is submit it again next year.

Old 09-02-2018, 8:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:

Mistakes happen, sure, but that's one I don't want to do a write up about.
( in California, Verizon cut data speeds on first responders, never plan on wifi, cellular, or otherwise unless it is known to be functional)

And I have played with apx cps, talk about B.S. on trying to program with that..... scan is a PITA to get to work if you have 1 setting out of place, and it does not tell you where the mistake is, radio just goes bonk, when you push the scan button.

If you are in NC, I can contact Secom and they will get your concerns and comments too and send them to the big heads.

Email me, I will get you the needed info.

Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2018, 11:47 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

How much does the software cost? I want to buy one of the radios but if I cant get the software it will just be a paper weight. I been calling around and getting a run around cause they dont want to sell to a end user. Just want to program it for a NXDN repeater and maybe add P25 to it for the P25 repeaters as well as my hotspots. on BM.
Old 10-18-2018, 1:04 PM

Current list price for KPG-D1NK is $155.00

KD4EFM (post above yours) might be a good person to try for obtaining software. He's with a Kenwood dealer in FL.