RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum

Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum - For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood or EF Johnson. For discussion of Kenwood Amateur Radio Equipment, please use the Amateur Radio Equipment forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2018, 5:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Kenwood KPG-D1NK

Hi, I would like to buy and program a nx-5700. I would like to buy the KPG-D1NK software but don't understand how it works, is it a download from a dealer? Where/how do I buy it? TIA
Sponsored links
Old 08-13-2018, 6:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yeah, you have to buy it from a dealer and they will give you a download link from Dropbox or some other file sharing service.
The software requires an authentication key from Kenwood that registers the software with their server, and enables it for use. It's a PITA, but they are going the way of Motorola and beyond with regard to security.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2018, 6:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Purchase from a dealer if you are in the US.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2018, 7:26 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

can anyone recommend
a dealer
Old 08-13-2018, 7:48 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

kd4efm is a dealer
Old 08-13-2018, 7:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markb View Post
Yeah, you have to buy it from a dealer and they will give you a download link from Dropbox or some other file sharing service.
The software requires an authentication key from Kenwood that registers the software with their server, and enables it for use. It's a PITA, but they are going the way of Motorola and beyond with regard to security.

Thanks Mark
Old 08-15-2018, 9:34 PM

I can help ya out on both
Old 08-15-2018, 11:51 PM

Default Kenwood KPG-D1NK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markb View Post
...but they are going the way of Motorola and beyond with regard to security.

Motorola is nowhere near the security Kenwood has in KPG-D1

Harris on the other hand...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2018, 10:24 AM

The local dealer around me claims he doesn't sell programming software. If there is a dealer looking to make a sale on a radio and programming software contact me. (NX-5200K2, tac mic, software)
Old 08-31-2018, 10:59 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyers119 View Post
The local dealer around me claims he doesn't sell programming software. If there is a dealer looking to make a sale on a radio and programming software contact me. (NX-5200K2, tac mic, software)
There are several of us who do work with hams.

I do have a 5200k2 NIB that I need to sell.

Old 08-31-2018, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4efm View Post
There are several of us who do work with hams.

I do have a 5200k2 NIB that I need to sell.

I private messaged you, If you have multiple copy's I apologies as there was no confirmation it was sent.
Old 09-01-2018, 4:45 PM

If at all possible buy a radio that does NOT have to be programmed by the Kenwood KPG-D1NK!!!!
It's complicated to use; can only be used on one computer at a time; complicated to move from computer to computer; and expensive. If you insist on selecting a radio that must be programmed by this software; unless you're a radio tech/nerd, get the Kenwood Distributor in your area to provide one of their techs to set it up on whatever computer you plan to use it on.
Good luck.
Old 09-01-2018, 6:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by alducks View Post
If at all possible buy a radio that does NOT have to be programmed by the Kenwood KPG-D1NK!!!!
It's complicated to use; can only be used on one computer at a time; complicated to move from computer to computer; and expensive. If you insist on selecting a radio that must be programmed by this software; unless you're a radio tech/nerd, get the Kenwood Distributor in your area to provide one of their techs to set it up on whatever computer you plan to use it on.
Good luck.
Speaks a lot when compared to the apx software,
D1 is a cake walk.

I know people who use it between several PC's, what's so hard about activation and deactivation? Just d hi mp it on where you need it, activate it on and when it you need it.
Pretty easy and simple.

Price? Sure it's not a bowfang, it's not that expensive. Unless you paid list price.

Just saying.

Just saying.

Last edited by kd4efm; 09-01-2018 at 6:44 PM..
Old 09-01-2018, 7:03 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4efm View Post
Speaks a lot when compared to the apx software,
D1 is a cake walk.

I know people who use it between several PC's, what's so hard about activation and deactivation? Just d hi mp it on where you need it, activate it on and when it you need it.
Pretty easy and simple.

Price? Sure it's not a bowfang, it's not that expensive. Unless you paid list price.

Just saying.

Just saying.

The only problem I have with D1 is that it takes several weeks to boot and the same amount of time to either load a data file or prepare a data file after reading the radio. I seriously boot the program, go look to do something else, either open the data file or read the radio, then go do something else again, then get down to business... Yeah, I know Kenwood is aware, but really, that shouldn't take that long for a 63 kilobyte file to be read and processed, unless you guys have some outstanding compression algorithms in there and there are megabytes of data in there!
Old 09-01-2018, 8:04 PM

My files are pretty small, about 60 or so conventional frequencies, analog and P25. No trunking.

Never had any issues with loading or read/write speeds. Is that an issue with larger trunked system files? It's not lightning fast, but I haven't had to wonder if it's working or not.

For amateur radio use I doubt that there will be a big issue with the speed. After all, the OP is buying one radio, not doing a whole fleet.
Old 09-01-2018, 9:44 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Smile KPG D1NK

Hi,
Have been programming a nx5300 for a couple of weeks. It was a bit of a learning curve,Setting it up was a bit of a challenge. Just using it for a single radio. After a couple of nights programming is now a breeze!
Bill
Old 09-02-2018, 3:11 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
The only problem I have with D1 is that it takes several weeks to boot and the same amount of time to either load a data file or prepare a data file after reading the radio. I seriously boot the program, go look to do something else, either open the data file or read the radio, then go do something else again, then get down to business... Yeah, I know Kenwood is aware, but really, that shouldn't take that long for a 63 kilobyte file to be read and processed, unless you guys have some outstanding compression algorithms in there and there are megabytes of data in there!
Several weeks is very exaggerated. Really?

Maybe but when I have 3 radios , windows 10
And 500 channel each file, take 3 to 5 minutes.

I have been told those with more than 8 to 10 meg ram, take less than 2 minutes to load up.
CPU speed has SOME to do with load up.

Number 1, it is loaded like an XML file
Number 2 it has to spool up the DES that it has within it.
Number 3, it loads the default file first
Number 4, your in to much of a hurry slow down.

Old 09-02-2018, 1:42 PM

kd4efm

The boot time is also a problem, forgot to list that one...thanks Jay911. CPU speed is not a problem on my computer. The dual band radio we've got has 2 heads so the boot time is twice as long. Maybe your experience provides you with the ability to work with the D1 software; but for less experienced programmers the software is unwieldy and I advise the selection of an alternative model Kenwood radio that does not require D1N.
The radio tech from our vendor had pure hell installing the software with multiple calls direct to his contact at Kenwood/EFJohnson support to get it operational.
I have no idea what you mean by: 'Just d hi mp it on where you need it, activate it on and when it you need it.' and I imagine a new user of it won't either. It can't be just copied to another computer..it has to be re-registered, which then deactivates it on the first computer.
This is just my opinion and recommendation to the original thread...good luck whatever radio you choose.
Old 09-02-2018, 2:05 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Armada is a superior platform. Kenwood needs to port this over to the NX series. I have a VP5430 and Armada is a BREEZE compared to KPG-D1NK. None of this B.S. of licensing either. Even APX CPS (currently) does not require you to license it to a machine. What if you're at a remote site and need to load it quickly to touch a batch of radios, you know, like at the scene of wiildfire where you might not have WAN available to download anything?

The NX platform is a great product, it needs ARMADA. Seriously. Kenwood bought EF Johnson for a reason. Don't be like those guys and waste the great stuff they have. The template/codeplug concept is the BEST THING EVER for radio programming/management. Hello Kenwood,you already have your solution...
Old 09-02-2018, 3:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by alducks View Post
kd4efm

The boot time is also a problem, forgot to list that one...thanks Jay911. CPU speed is not a problem on my computer. The dual band radio we've got has 2 heads so the boot time is twice as long. Maybe your experience provides you with the ability to work with the D1 software; but for less experienced programmers the software is unwieldy and I advise the selection of an alternative model Kenwood radio that does not require D1N.
The radio tech from our vendor had pure hell installing the software with multiple calls direct to his contact at Kenwood/EFJohnson support to get it operational.
I have no idea what you mean by: 'Just d hi mp it on where you need it, activate it on and when it you need it.' and I imagine a new user of it won't either. It can't be just copied to another computer..it has to be re-registered, which then deactivates it on the first computer.
This is just my opinion and recommendation to the original thread...good luck whatever radio you choose.
"Just load the software on multiple laptops, load the key on same, and turn on and off when and where you need it" typos caused by phone, sorry.

Your comment:

2 head, what are you talking about? PC boot time compared to radio boot time? Or you talking about programming time?

That's what I read from your statement.

And not trying to play this down or up, the software load time does suck. But having a dual head dual deck has nothing to do with the software spin up. You edit each deck separately, then load it to the radio with a kpg46xm cable, takes anywhere from 45 seconds to a minute and a half per deck.

My 3 decks take 3 minutes 45 seconds to program. And I have roughly 400 channels in each deck, and my uhf has 5 nxdn trunk systems in it.

Use a standard kpg46 serial cable and it will take up to 5 min on average to load into the radios.

What cable are you using?

As for PC's in the field, I can't fix poor planning, but any tech will tell you, one license for a fleet of laptops is a mistake.

My field laptops all have D1 D2 D3 licenses
So there is no mistake of saying I have 1 license and its being used at the office.
Wrong answer.

Armada is nice, saw it at IWCE, who knows maybe one day we will have access to it, but right now, we don't as kenwood dealers.

As for the tech having a hell of a time installing, i will take that into note, if he was trying to install it on a VM or other non windows device. There are people who have it on VM, but doing so at thier own risk. Kenwood says, to be ran on a windows PC only. Not a big fan, I like linux, but I can't deviate or it is not covered under warranty.

I will be glad to help you over come this hurdle if you need easier ways of dealing with D1, just ask. I've help more than 30 people on here with D1 when they got their radios. Even had other dealers contact me as well. Nothing to hide here.