• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Upgrading from 2180

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillB

I currently have a 2180 and 7180 but am looking at upgrading. What would be a comparable radio to upgrade to? Something P25. I have seen the 5200 series but it seems larger then the 2180 and would prefer to not go larger.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I'll try to post pics of my NX-5400 and TK-3180 side by side later this morning. I don't really notice the size difference and neither do my firefighters. The UI and feature set of the NX series is light years ahead of the x180s, but the programming software and process is completely different as well.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Here's a pic of the two side-by-side. As I said, I don't really consider the NX to be substantially larger than the TK.

I didn't take photos in all three dimensions, but I have the belt clip on the back of both radios and they are equal in depth. The actual body of the radio is maybe 6-7 millimeters bigger but the NX belt clip is flatter and makes the radio pretty much the same size.

Width and height wise you can see from the photo, if there are any differences, it's in the millimeters - IMO not enough to worry about.

The NX does feel heavier by a few grams to me, but again, nowhere near enough to be a concern.

NPa1Icf.jpg

WillB

How do you like that radio compared to the 3180? Maybe its not an easy way to compare but do you feel that the NX radio receives better compared to the 3180?

I should have been more clear when I was referring to the the 5200 series. I meant the TK 5210.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
The NX radios (both mobile and portable) are very close in size to the TK-180s. In fact, the mobile chassis is nearly identical.

Contrast that to the 10 series (5210/5710), which are bigger and bulkier in every way. That's not a bad thing, I have them and they have their place--but they aren't small.

My only complaint with the NX radios is they *seem* to be quieter than the 180s they replaced. That's just my impression.

Jay911

Feed Provider
It's almost an apples and oranges comparison in terms of audio and signal for me, because the NX is strictly P25 (in my application) and the TK is strictly analog. I wouldn't consider it fair to say one is better than the other, except that the NX is newer and has better tech in it (like noise canceling). I have never had to turn the NX up to full volume yet, I think it would peel paint and break windows. The audio is crisp and clear, but I don't know how much of that is P25 vs analog, as opposed to old vs new.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Mine is analog->analog.

Local PD that's debating switching from XTS 2500 to the NX5300 has similar complaint. All of the doo-dads are generally digital-only in the 5300. Meaning, while it's a fantastic radio, it's not my first choice in an analog-only environment.

The noise cancelling and auto gain controls also are digital only.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
But with the large battery it is a warhorse and runs a very long time.
When you power it up you can see the remaining battery charge.
While powered on you can see the remaining battery charge.
Just in the Fire Service knowing the exact remaining battery charge is very important.

Status
Not open for further replies.