• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Scan feature for Kenwood TK-863G

Status
Not open for further replies.

I recently acquired a TK-863G and LOVE this radio. However, I am having a small problem.I am attempting to build a scan list using the KPG-76D software and I'm struggling. This is what I am attempting to do:

I would like to be able to scan all the channels in Group 1 (I don't have anything programmed in Group 2). I have programmed the A (front button) as a scan nuisance delete button, I think. The SCN front button is programmed to scan.

Yes, I've used the HELP file provided in the programming software numerous times, to no avail.

If you think you can help, please provide step-by-step directions like I'm a 6 year old please.

I own several other newer Kenwood radios and they are not this difficult to program.

Thank you so much for any and all help you can provide. Everyone here has been so helpful in the past, especially McKenna!

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
The TK-863G is a trunking radio and operates in a trunked format even though conventional frequencies can be added to the programming.

First, this radio uses "SYSTEMS" and within this are added "GROUPS".

In the programming software you can select which systems are scanned (system lockout) and which groups are scanned (group lockout).

When you press the scan button, the radio will scan as you have set this up in the software. You can specify a button for scan add/delete or scan temp delete but these two only work to enable or disable systems from the scan list. The only way to select groups for scan is through the software. This is true for both fixed system scan and list scan.

It sounds like you would like to scan all groups in one system. Just fill out what you want and leave group lockout and system lockout as no.

Don't forget to put the mic in the clip to start scan unless you check the off hook scan box.

Last edited:

So once I depress the scan button and make it stop scanning, it continues to scan. How did I make that stop?

k9wkj

funny this old bird came up today
i was just working with one of mine Thursday
to get the desired scanning of conventional single channels
I had to enter each as its own system and scan list =yes
and system data has the scan box checked for each "system" which is really now just a channel
and under scan type "list system scan"

so i have 20 channels scanning nicely
I even setup the dtmf memories to do the control sequences on the AllStar repeaters and simplex nodes i work with
im really starting to like that little old thing

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
funny this old bird came up today
i was just working with one of mine Thursday
to get the desired scanning of conventional single channels
I had to enter each as its own system and scan list =yes
and system data has the scan box checked for each "system" which is really now just a channel
and under scan type "list system scan"

so i have 20 channels scanning nicely
I even setup the dtmf memories to do the control sequences on the AllStar repeaters and simplex nodes i work with
im really starting to like that little old thing

Exactly. The scan button DOES NOT turn group scan off within a system, it only turns system scan on and off. If you have several frequencies you would create that many systems and only add one frequency per system. Now the scan and add/delete buttons will operate as expected.

I'm still a little confused. Is it possible to send a screen shot? I'm so sorry! Thank you all so much for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.