RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum

Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum - For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood or EF Johnson. For discussion of Kenwood Amateur Radio Equipment, please use the Amateur Radio Equipment forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2018, 4:07 AM

Default Scan feature for Kenwood TK-863G

I recently acquired a TK-863G and LOVE this radio. However, I am having a small problem.I am attempting to build a scan list using the KPG-76D software and I'm struggling. This is what I am attempting to do:

I would like to be able to scan all the channels in Group 1 (I don't have anything programmed in Group 2). I have programmed the A (front button) as a scan nuisance delete button, I think. The SCN front button is programmed to scan.

Yes, I've used the HELP file provided in the programming software numerous times, to no avail.

If you think you can help, please provide step-by-step directions like I'm a 6 year old please.

I own several other newer Kenwood radios and they are not this difficult to program.

Thank you so much for any and all help you can provide. Everyone here has been so helpful in the past, especially McKenna!
Sponsored links
Old 10-15-2018, 11:44 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The TK-863G is a trunking radio and operates in a trunked format even though conventional frequencies can be added to the programming.

First, this radio uses "SYSTEMS" and within this are added "GROUPS".

In the programming software you can select which systems are scanned (system lockout) and which groups are scanned (group lockout).

When you press the scan button, the radio will scan as you have set this up in the software. You can specify a button for scan add/delete or scan temp delete but these two only work to enable or disable systems from the scan list. The only way to select groups for scan is through the software. This is true for both fixed system scan and list scan.

It sounds like you would like to scan all groups in one system. Just fill out what you want and leave group lockout and system lockout as no.

Don't forget to put the mic in the clip to start scan unless you check the off hook scan box.

Last edited by ramal121; 10-15-2018 at 11:56 AM..
Old 10-15-2018, 9:34 PM

Thank you so much!
Old 10-20-2018, 8:08 PM

So once I depress the scan button and make it stop scanning, it continues to scan. How did I make that stop?
Old 10-20-2018, 9:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

funny this old bird came up today
i was just working with one of mine Thursday
to get the desired scanning of conventional single channels
I had to enter each as its own system and scan list =yes
and system data has the scan box checked for each "system" which is really now just a channel
and under scan type "list system scan"

so i have 20 channels scanning nicely
I even setup the dtmf memories to do the control sequences on the AllStar repeaters and simplex nodes i work with
im really starting to like that little old thing
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2018, 12:17 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9wkj View Post
funny this old bird came up today
i was just working with one of mine Thursday
to get the desired scanning of conventional single channels
I had to enter each as its own system and scan list =yes
and system data has the scan box checked for each "system" which is really now just a channel
and under scan type "list system scan"

so i have 20 channels scanning nicely
I even setup the dtmf memories to do the control sequences on the AllStar repeaters and simplex nodes i work with
im really starting to like that little old thing
Exactly. The scan button DOES NOT turn group scan off within a system, it only turns system scan on and off. If you have several frequencies you would create that many systems and only add one frequency per system. Now the scan and add/delete buttons will operate as expected.
Old 10-22-2018, 1:41 AM

I'm still a little confused. Is it possible to send a screen shot? I'm so sorry! Thank you all so much for the help!