• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK 890H/690H dual band to single

Status
Not open for further replies.

W5KVV

Guys, I recently picked up a 890H/690H set that is configured for single head operation. I'd like to split the radios up and have each radio on its own control head. What is required to do this?

I have plenty of KRK-5's, control heads and cables. Any hardware changes other than swapping from the KRK-7DB to the KRK-5? Any jumpers involved? What will need to be changed in the KPG?

This is the first dual radio single head unit I've worked with so I'm a little green in this arena.

Thanks,
W5KVV

mrweather

Hardware changes? Yes, pull the top cover off the "Radio 2" drawer, and on main board you'll need to reinstall 0 ohm resistors (jumpers) at R546 and R661 and move the resistor from R705 back to R602. Hope you're good with surface-mount devices!

I can email you the relevant KRK-7DB/8DBH service manual pages if you need them.

W5KVV

Ah yes. Good old SMD. Time to fire up the hot tweezers.

I appreciate the offer on the pages. I went ahead and downloaded the manual(s). I believe I have it figured out. Thank God I have both singe deck and dual deck radios on hand to look at for reference. Makes it much easier to see whats been moved around.

These are surplus radios, getting a new lease on life.

mrweather

Glad to hear you found some resources to help you convert it back. The Kenwood 90 Series radios are awesome!

W5KVV

Yes sir they are. I've been a big fan of the 30 series and the 90 series Kenwoods for some time, but this is my first time working with the low band and UHF radios. We're primarily high band around here.

I've got everything changed back to single deck single head configuration and they're working great on their original frequencies.

I have hex edited the low band code plug, and have my 6 meter frequencies ready to be loaded into the radio. All that's left is tweaking the VCO's.

Good stuff.

W5KVV

Side question:

Has anyone found a source for the x30/x90 series button labels? I'll be needing a few sets in the near future. It's looking like it may require some leg work.

Status
Not open for further replies.