RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum

Kenwood & EF Johnson Forum - For discussion of land mobile radio products manufactured by Kenwood or EF Johnson. For discussion of Kenwood Amateur Radio Equipment, please use the Amateur Radio Equipment forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2018, 1:44 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default TK 890H/690H dual band to single

Guys, I recently picked up a 890H/690H set that is configured for single head operation. I'd like to split the radios up and have each radio on its own control head. What is required to do this?

I have plenty of KRK-5's, control heads and cables. Any hardware changes other than swapping from the KRK-7DB to the KRK-5? Any jumpers involved? What will need to be changed in the KPG?

This is the first dual radio single head unit I've worked with so I'm a little green in this arena.

Thanks,
W5KVV
Sponsored links
Old 10-16-2018, 8:22 PM

Hardware changes? Yes, pull the top cover off the "Radio 2" drawer, and on main board you'll need to reinstall 0 ohm resistors (jumpers) at R546 and R661 and move the resistor from R705 back to R602. Hope you're good with surface-mount devices!

I can email you the relevant KRK-7DB/8DBH service manual pages if you need them.
Old 10-16-2018, 9:14 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ah yes. Good old SMD. Time to fire up the hot tweezers.

I appreciate the offer on the pages. I went ahead and downloaded the manual(s). I believe I have it figured out. Thank God I have both singe deck and dual deck radios on hand to look at for reference. Makes it much easier to see whats been moved around.

These are surplus radios, getting a new lease on life.
Old 10-18-2018, 9:43 PM

Glad to hear you found some resources to help you convert it back. The Kenwood 90 Series radios are awesome!
Old 10-19-2018, 2:25 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yes sir they are. I've been a big fan of the 30 series and the 90 series Kenwoods for some time, but this is my first time working with the low band and UHF radios. We're primarily high band around here.

I've got everything changed back to single deck single head configuration and they're working great on their original frequencies.

I have hex edited the low band code plug, and have my 6 meter frequencies ready to be loaded into the radio. All that's left is tweaking the VCO's.

Good stuff.
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2018, 6:41 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Side question:

Has anyone found a source for the x30/x90 series button labels? I'll be needing a few sets in the near future. It's looking like it may require some leg work.