• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX5200 settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Been experimenting with a 5200 to tweak the settings for ideal optimum performance.

I doubt anyone would share a plug to go over to look at the settings they found best for scanning, in a single zone and such for conventional use.

But any find which settings work best on these newer models?

I'm familiar with the older kenwoods and mostly motorola but I like the direction kenwood has gone with their NX series.

The CPS has more fine tune settings so I'm sure it's trial and error on a few small things but it never hurts to ask pointers in what some found to work best. More than the APX line I noticed but that may seem like it since I'm used to the M line.

I noticed the call id hangs on screen after a rx transmission, I'd imagine it's the timer or muting conditions I have yet to find to fine touch.

Also noticed I miss the first second or two in scanning in priority selected in zone scan but I'm thinking ita due to the pre rx muting condition of the pre mdc which some units don't have. The ones with pre mdc I noticed are fine. So it'll be a switch that off I'm guessing.

Just looking for anyone's pointers to save some time.

Had a long day and night so sorry if it seems I'm wired on too much red bull.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Mode reset timer, that's where you adjust the display of the I'd, default is 10 sec

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. It must be set really high cause it stays long time.

I noticed in single zone scan, I have priority set as selected and revert as selected.

I'm trying to have it like the motorola priority channel selector knob and ptt back to the selected channel not last or last scanned landed on. I believe I got it right though and I also made sure the zone edit in each zone has this set.

I notice during scan P1 is indicated in display and the red arrow circle. I'll look more at the manual but noticed the audio has like cutting in it from look back which I'm guessing is the look back time.

Anyone have ideas how to set the rx audio in scan to not cut out in scan like you would have on the tk 2170s, and xts series?

Another issue is in scan it seems it takes few to catch a channel with activity. I know it's fine tuning the settings but been wondering that. I'm sure eventually I'll figure it out. Still think it's a great product.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I notice during scan P1 is indicated in display and the red arrow circle. I'll look more at the manual but noticed the audio has like cutting in it from look back which I'm guessing is the look back time.

Yes, that's the look-back time. Our NX-5700's do that, so do all our radios when scanning conventional systems. I've got ours set to only look back at one channel. Our PD is the primary/priority channel on the scan list, with the adjoining agency on the non-priority side, no other channels being scanned. Works fine for our officers.

Anyone have ideas how to set the rx audio in scan to not cut out in scan like you would have on the tk 2170s, and xts series?

Play with the timing. They are set a little long as default. You can shorten the time, but it can be problematic with lower PL/QT tones.

It's all about adjusting it for your personal taste.

Another issue is in scan it seems it takes few to catch a channel with activity. I know it's fine tuning the settings but been wondering that. I'm sure eventually I'll figure it out. Still think it's a great product.

Make sure your squelch isn't set real high.
Also, try it in carrier squelch and see if it improves.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Will keep adjusting. I may end up setting a selected priority and a second priority see how that goes.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
How do you remove the NO SCM in the display once you are programmed up, is there a key that needs to be assigned or channel or just disable it in the product information if you don't need a scrambler or enc etc.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Set it to 4 key des. However turn off encryption on said channel will stop it from showing too

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Thank you. I pretty much got it where I want it in the sweet spot for now. I really think kenwood has beat the Motorola APX series with the NX.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
If I wanted to enable a read password and write where is that located in the software?

Also I put the password in menu, but it is a model 2... limited keypad can you still use the transceiver password option and menu it then use the arrows to select proper password or it only for the full keypad versions?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
When you are in the option 1 menu
The toolbar (box line below the tool bar)
You will see password, this is where you set the radio cps password.

Note: you can assign alphanumeric or leters!
NO, there is no tool other than depot if you lock yourself out of the radio (hard lock) and you fat fingered the passwords.

Tranciver with display, limited keypad
Yes you can use the d pad to scroll the numbers, if I recall, to unlock the radio for use.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Thank you sir, outstanding. Really love the NX series. Cant wait to buy a couppe of the paid features once the holiday madness is over.

bondo_06092

Premium Subscriber
would you mind posting your number for reference? I've been playing with scan times, etc and am curious to see what works for people

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
It was pretty much just playing with it until I found what worked best for our area systems since it's a mix of motorola, kenwood, harris.

I do know I prefer the priority 1 and priority 2 options that are user selectable so traffic on those are not missed the rest being irrelevant scans but something to hear when it's dead hours and slow.

I can look later this evening and post ehat I used which works best for me.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
would you mind posting your number for reference? I've been playing with scan times, etc and am curious to see what works for people
I have set the look back A and B for 0.50 on both over the 0.50 and the 1.25. Seems to work fine most time.

Once and while in scan it cuts the mdc out so you get the mdc muting sort of lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.