• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming TK-2302V16P Ver. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmon85

I have a used TK-2302V16P Ver. 2 that i got on ebay. I cant get either KPG-119D or KPG-118D to work to program it. Does anyone know what is the correct software for this?

danielxgame

I have a used TK-2302V16P Ver. 2 that i got on ebay. I cant get either KPG-119D or KPG-118D to work to program it. Does anyone know what is the correct software for this?

you have the right program, used the KPG 119D select the model 2302V version 2. if the program doesn't work try to change your SMJ or try to play around before you hit the program in you PC soft push your programming pin. sometimes the issue is in SMJ. not the programming. (SMJ - speaker mic jack)

hmon85

Thanks so much. I followed those directions and got the same thing. Check Model Name and market code. The unit says protalk on the side. I have used the program and the cable with other radios without issue. I tried jiggling the cable a bit.

Attachments

• tk-2302.jpg
    tk-2302.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 81

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I can add a bit.

The issue I usually have with these is that the programming cable doesn't always seat all the way in the jacks. As Daniel said, give it a little push. Often the weather sealing makes it a little difficult to get it to seat all the way.

If the software isn't doing anything, no errors, nothing, then it's usually an issue with the connection. Either the cable isn't seated all the way, the wrong Comm port selected, or the jacks on the radio are damaged.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK, that's usually the market code for the software doesn't match the market code for the radio.

Did you get a legal copy of software from Kenwood, or did you acquire it "somewhere else"?

You need to activate the software using a serial number that starts with K44.

I don't have that software on my office PC, it's out in my truck. But make sure you select the correct model number in the settings.

RadioGuy7268

I've learned that you cannot count on the housing & guts matching what the labels say when it comes to eBay refugees. Trust nothing, but use it as a clue.

There's a KPG-88D that will program a bunch of the TKx2xx versions out there. I think you have to use the engineering version of the Serial number to do the ProTalk & L series, but I'm not a Kenwood expert.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Good point, didn't see the photo when I posted.

The "P" at the end of the model number means it's a ProTalk radio, which means it's got a specific firmware in it that makes it different than the non-ProTalk versions.

What would concern me is that the tag on the radio says "TK-2302V-K", but the added on sticker says it's a "TK-2302V16P". The P usually indicates it's a ProTalk model.

If it is a ProTalk, you are not going to be able to program the channels individually. There is some changes that can be made, but it's limited to pre-set frequencies.

There's a way to load new firmware in them and make them think they are not the ProTalk version, but it's been a few years since I've done it.

hmon85

Yes the radio has a protalk sticker on the side. Is it programmable or should i just toss it?

I need:
RX: 154.3562500
TX: 151.3562500

Also yes i am using software that seems to have "fallen off a truck" to program but it has worked for every other 2302 i got on ebay. It just this one radio that is giving me issues. I cant find KPG-88D online. I found a great site that seems to have every version Kenwood offers.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yes the radio has a protalk sticker on the side. Is it programmable or should i just toss it?

I need:
RX: 154.3562500
TX: 151.3562500

Also yes i am using software that seems to have "fallen off a truck" to program but it has worked for every other 2302 i got on ebay. It just this one radio that is giving me issues. I cant find KPG-88D online. I found a great site that seems to have every version Kenwood offers.

OK, so if it really is a ProTalk, then you're stuck. The ProTalk radios only allow specific business frequencies. As it is, you won't be able to program in those frequencies.

I've been able to stick non-ProTalk firmware into ProTalk radios and change their minds into not being pre-programmed radios. I haven't done it in a few years, and it's risky.

Ideally, sell the radio and get the right one. Don't toss it, someone can use it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

KPG-119 is the correct software for the non-ProTalk TK-x302 radios.
KPG-88D is the software for the ProTalk version, but it will NOT let you program in frequencies, it just lets you select the existing ones from a drop down menu.

hmon85

Yeah these radios will be used in Jamaica. I have about 20 of them but i keep having security guards fall in pools with the radio (not kidding). I think this one will not work for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.