• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK 7160 Bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

I have a Kenwood TK 7160 mobile in the truck, I've had it for quite sometime, I wanted to add some more to it but the one who programmed it has forgotten the needed password to get into it to program...or so he says.. So my question is this: Is there a way to reset it or something to be able to program or get into it bypassing or deleting the password without having to have it? Is there a master reset or something, Someway to get rid or or around the password prompt? If I don't figure out something I'm just gonna be out of luck I guess. Any one have any ideas?

pddispatcher

Might be able to put everything back into the software included the added stuff and see if it will write to the radio without the password.

I know you can't read it with the password but am not sure about writing to it.

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
I have a Kenwood TK 7160 mobile in the truck, I've had it for quite sometime, I wanted to add some more to it but the one who programmed it has forgotten the needed password to get into it to program...or so he says.. So my question is this: Is there a way to reset it or something to be able to program or get into it bypassing or deleting the password without having to have it? Is there a master reset or something, Someway to get rid or or around the password prompt? If I don't figure out something I'm just gonna be out of luck I guess. Any one have any ideas?

If it has write protect password you will need to know what it is, or have it sent to the factory for a reset (it will have to have proof of purchase from a KW dealer). You could also replace the EEPROM, but the radio will need new firmware and a complete alignment after that.

If your good with a hex editor you can dump your page memory after trying a write and if you know where to look you can find it that way. It's not that hard.

If it's your radio there should be no need to put a password on it, and the dealer should remove it. If it's not your radio the password is there for a reason.

Jim

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
If it has write protect password you will need to know what it is

Jim

There is no write protect password. If a password is programmed into the radio it will only prevent the ability to read it (if password is unknown).

You could reconstruct the information in FPU and write it (with a known password or blank it out) without a problem.

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
There is no write protect password. If a password is programmed into the radio it will only prevent the ability to read it (if password is unknown).

You could reconstruct the information in FPU and write it (with a known password or blank it out) without a problem.

Sorry ramal121, you are wrong.

I'm a tech for a Kenwood Authorized warranty shop, and we can't even get the FPU to bypass a write protect password.

Here is a copy of the help file, I can also post a screen shot if needed.

Data Password "Data Password protection prevents unauthorized reading/overwriting of the transceiver's configuration data.
For instance, if the transceiver is stolen, this function will prevent the frequency data used in the transceiver from being read. This function can also prevent the transceiver's frequency data from being overwritten accidentally.
Click "Data Password", and then a dialog box appears to configure the Data Password.
You can confiure the Data Password using numbers 0 to 9.
Read Authorization Password:
This prevents unauthorized reading of the transceiver's configuration data.

1. Click "Data Password".
  2. Enter the desired password in the Read Authorization Password edit box.
  3. Click "OK". The Read Authorization Password is configured.
Overwrite Password:
This prevents the transceiver's frequency data from from being overwritten accidentally.

1. Click "Data Password".
  2. Enter the desired password in the Overwrite Password edit box.
  3. Enter the password, configured as Overwrite password, in the Confirmation edit box.
  4. Click "OK". The Overwrite Password is configured.
    If the configured Overwrite Password does not match the password entered in the Confirmation edit box, an error message appears, and Overwrite Password cannot be configured"

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Tnx for response n7ma-1.
I checked and you are correct. Guess I never bothered with that little button to see what it did.
We don't password too many of our radios.I guess all newer FPU does this although I checked 880 and 8150 which does not.
Just gotta love these forums. Thanks again.

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
Tnx for response n7ma-1.
I checked and you are correct. Guess I never bothered with that little button to see what it did.
We don't password too many of our radios.I guess all newer FPU does this although I checked 880 and 8150 which does not.
Just gotta love these forums. Thanks again.

I have very mixed feelings about the write protect password. Most of the new Kenwood models have them. They are a great surprise for someone who ends up with a hot radio , but how many legit users/purchasers will end up with paperweights when they buy one on the used market.

I purchased a small fleet of TK8180's from a cab company that went out of businesses, and there radio shop/vendor would not give me their password. The use the same for read/write, and I understand not allowing your read password to get out. I just swapped out the EEPROMS, it was quicker and easier than sending them to the factory service center.

Jim

redimix

Old thread perhaps someone is still reading...

did you swap out AT24256N10SI27 and AT29C040A-90T1 or just the first?

Status
Not open for further replies.